Discuss 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. My boiler had its second annual service today and the (gas safe) engineer recorded a 0.5mb drop on the tightness test. He assured my partner that this was nothing to worry about but as I wasn't home at the time I just wanted reassurance that this is okay? British Gas did the first service and it was nowhere near as comprehensive as carried out today. I suspect this result would have appeared first time around but either the test wasn't carried out or it wasn't recoreded.

As we only have the boiler and hob running on gas is there anyway this "leak" can be located? Isolate the applicances indivually? Sniffer test? Or is this harder to find than a needle in a haystack?

And lastly, is this likely to be increasing our gas bill?

I should say the engineer was in no way worried and has signed off job sheet as safe so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks,

Different argument but quoting German stats again Ron. One day working to German regs will get you in to trouble. But you know best. Best to leave him to it @ShaunCorbs
You did not get my point harvest. I was saying that I stick to the rules here but would love to see some changes. The above statements are just my opinions nothing more or less. I am not working according to german standards, first of all I don’t have the parts and materials to carry out such a great work which is obviously a downside but it is what it is. It seems like you misunderstand me quite often. It is either down to my English or perhaps my understanding of your language.

So just to clarify, I stick to the rules and regs over here but have a different approach to what is right and wrong. I am just having a different opinion about plumbing in uk and in Germany. Have you ever been to Germany? Perhaps you should give it a go and come to see some of the plumbing events. Next one this year I would like to invite you and show you around if you are up for it

You did not get my point harvest. I was saying that I stick to the rules here but would love to see some changes. The above statements are just my opinions nothing more or less. I am not working according to german standards, first of all I don’t have the parts and materials to carry out such a great work which is obviously a downside but it is what it is. It seems like you misunderstand me quite often. It is either down to my English or perhaps my understanding of your language.

So just to clarify, I stick to the rules and regs over here but have a different approach to what is right and wrong. I am just having a different opinion about plumbing in uk and in Germany. Have you ever been to Germany? Perhaps you should give it a go and come to see some of the plumbing events. Next one this year I would like to invite you and show you around if you are up for it

I’ll come, as long as you can buy me some cheap Vw high power race parts, from some of the German engineering companies :D

Well you don’t as you’ve said you test gas carcass at 1 bar which could hide a small leak

Well you don’t as you’ve said you test gas carcass at 1 bar which could hide a small leak
Don’t think I ever mentioned that I test pipes in uk with 1bar. Yes I agree, I did say I would and that would be the appropriate way to pin point leaks, hairline cracks etc. But I never said I do and don’t stick to the uk rules. It’s a slight difference of having an opinion and doing it as I said I would. However, you won’t get my point as you always seem to look for excuses. Just admit for once that other people are right too and know their trade. Or are you to proud

Yes, you would need to otherwise you will ruin the appliances. You can only test them via there operating pressure as you know. But when it comes to testing the pipework throughout the property when installed new then you will need to use the appropriate fittings to cap them off and test them with higher pressure ( but that’s the way we do it in Germany ). We do 2 test before bedding pipes into the concrete, load testing ( 1bar with air or N ) for 30min -1hour and then a 15 min test leak test.

Sorry but it is difficult to explain german terms in English. I think you can’t be careful enough when it comes to gas. I know it’s done differently here and I do whatever is required but I would wish few things would be different.
This doesn’t sound like an opinion mate. It sounds like standard practice.

Reply to 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Replies
Views
ShowerSmellProblems
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back