Search the forum,

Discuss Zoning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nichos

Hi,

Recently my gas-fired central heating system was updated to two zones each operated by its own programmable Honeywell thermostat , 1) main house & 2) annex.

Both work except the one heats up the rads on both sides, the other heats up only his own side.

Can you please explain what would cause this malfunction?. ......thanx .....nick

I would hazard a guess at a wiring issue. Either way if it's not doing what you want it to do get the original installer back.

Last edited:
Hello nick, as above. Your installer should be the one trying to resolve the issue, not you. If the system worked ''well'' before the zoning update, then he must have missed something. Get him back to resolve it

Thanx both,

He did a few very good jobs for me the last 3-4 years including the install of my present boiler.

Even so he said not to worry if both sides heats on demand.

The piping has been checked & is correctly plumbed.

I thought too that perhaps one of the 2 programmable Honeywell thermostats is inadvertently wired to both Zone Motorized valves. ..........nick

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand?? It's not meant to heat both

Wired incorrectly if you are lucky. Piping error if you are not. Whole point of zoning is to give independent control. Get him back.

Perhaps this is how it is wired & opens both zone valves, by connecting #7 of new stat to #5 of the other stat.

Attachments

• ZONING WRONG AddingAZone2[1].jpg
    ZONING WRONG AddingAZone2[1].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx,

as mentioned above the plumber did a few very good jobs for me the last 3-4 years including the install of my present boiler. I found him very reliable, fair & efficient, no doubt he will call his electrician back to check it. He always used him before.

After all we are all humans & make mistakes.

I just wanted to investigate myself to find out & keep my mind working at this old age.

If it's incorrectly plumbed it could also be reverse flowing round some of the rads or one of the zone valves could be stuck....

I think the answer is get installer back. We are all human. Mistakes happen.

If it's only just started doing it one zone valve could be passing. So when the zone which I'd ok is on the heat passes through the other which I's passing or stuck open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Zoning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock