Search the forum,

Discuss Zoning a living room in bungalow with combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steveafoss

Looking for practical advice please!
I have just done a complete central heating install with a combi boiler in a bungalow and believed that as a single storey it would be classed as a single zone. Just had my Gas Inspection and have been told I still have to zone the living room. All rads are fitted with TRV's. The living room has 2 rads (L-shaped room). Does anyone have any idea as to the cheapest and easiest way of correcting this. I have not yet installed the thermostat (customer wants a wireless thermostat which I haven't yet bought).

Any help gratefully listened to!

Steve

It depends on the current layout of your pipes, would be hard to give an accurate answer without knowing that.
Ideally you'd zone from a T at the start of the F/R pipework, not sure if a zoned bypass of just the living room rads would be any use other than to exclude the living room. The inspector would want it possible to heat the living room only as one of the zones so you're probably going to be lifting a fair few boards again I'm afraid :(

Why does the gas safety inspection encroach onto a building regs query? GSR don't police the building regs do they?

It depends on the current layout of your pipes, would be hard to give an accurate answer without knowing that.
Ideally you'd zone from a T at the start of the F/R pipework, not sure if a zoned bypass of just the living room rads would be any use other than to exclude the living room. The inspector would want it possible to heat the living room only as one of the zones so you're probably going to be lifting a fair few boards again I'm afraid :(

All pipework in loft including boiler the bunglow is less then 150 m2 so i thought it didnt need zoning but after wading through pages & pages online found i was wrong so trying to sort lucky for me bunglow empty for another 3 weeks

Why does the gas safety inspection encroach onto a building regs query? GSR don't police the building regs do they?

My first inspection (3hrs) wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy well maybe :33:

put on bench mark , customer unable to afford will upgrade later, customer to sign.

gsr inspect bit beyond himself imho

Using programmable trvs might get round this - you can get them for about ÂŁ25

Just read in this months Gas Engineer (issue 37) page 13 in the section HAVE YOUR SAY BEFORE BUILDING REGS CHANGE 1/2 way through the article "DCLG has proposed to revert back to the 2008 requirements for space heat zoning by permitting a single thermostat and TRVs to be used in a domestic property with a floor area below 150m2 as to the current requirements of 2 thermostats and zoning". This is how i have fitted at the moment till Mr Gas Safe Inspector told me its to be zoned and is coming back to check in 6 weeks (property is 110.5 m2). So it seems i am going to alter the pipe work, then 6 months down the line need not have bothered. I can understand the need for zoning on a large property but wish they could get there act together to decide on a smaller property.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start zoning my systems and fitting TRVs on boiler swaps when the likes of BG, Help Link etc. do. Until then I'll offer it as an extra cost option. When I worked for Eagaheat we weren't even insulating the pipes in airing cupboards but nothing was done about it. It's not right that the big boys are allowed to get away with breaching the regulations when small companies are expected to follow them to the letter.

I think this inspector is definitely overstepping his authority, if he wants to go back in 6 weeks tell the client not to let him in, his job is to see if you are safe enough to work on gas not wether you have a client base who can afford an all singing all dancing zoned bungalow.

I think this inspector is definitely overstepping his authority, if he wants to go back in 6 weeks tell the client not to let him in, his job is to see if you are safe enough to work on gas not wether you have a client base who can afford an all singing all dancing zoned bungalow.

I'm with stani. Surely the zoning issue is one for the building inspector and not gas safe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can somebody explain why the bungalow is supposed to be zoned? I understood the 150 square meter rule and then recently it changed to any property with more than one floor level but I can't see why a bungalow? I'll have to look it up. Oh I get it, are they saying now that living and sleeping accommodation must be zoned separately from eachother?

Anyway I'd just have said to him the customer didn't want it and they can't cap it off so what are they going to do? Strip you of your gsr? Infact this inspector sounds like he would probably try.
I'd be well annoyed if my gsr inspector started grilling me on zoning, I don't think it has anything to do with them, as said, it's building regs.

I have quoted jobs for 2 heating zones numerous times over the last year but havn't got any of them. I only do it in obviously larger houses where it will clearly be a benefit but you can bet that 19 out of 20 competitors won't be quoting for the same and will probs be made up to hear you have quoted for zoning the heating so they can undercut you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe I'm actually admitting this but my parents have just had a new system boiler by BG, existing unzoned system and it still is an unzoned 2 bedroomed semi house, steveafoss contact me if you GSR inspector turns up and I'll ask BG why they have not done the zones and then GSR what they are going to do about it.

put on bench mark , customer unable to afford will upgrade later, customer to sign.

gsr inspect bit beyond himself imho

i would appeal it GSR inspector sounds like he is misinformed i thought single storey applications were exempt

Had a email today from GS ref visit at above No mention of the request for zoning, Stating "I am pleased to inform you that we found no gas safety related defect on the work you are responsible for". Know mention about revisit or zoning then just goes on the benefite you are entitlied to as a gas safe engineer. (have i just wasted 2 days altering pipework etc to zone this bungalow i ask myself) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Zoning a living room in bungalow with combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock