Search the forum,

Discuss Zonal heating issues!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I am having problems controlling my heating zones. I have a 3 storey townhouse with a thermostat on the ground floor and a thermostat on the top floor in the main bedroom! If I switch on the thermostat upstairs all the radiators throughout the house heat up. (top, middle and bottom floors)However, if I had upstairs turned off and turned on the downstairs thermostat the middle floor rad's heat up but the ones on the ground floor barely get luke warm. The boiler will fire up but the radiators downstairs just won't heat up like they should. Has anyone got any advice about what could be the potential issue or ways to solve this. The house is only 2 and a half years old. Is this an original installation fault? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

If its always been like that it could be a wiring fault coupled with an unbalanced system. If its been ok before sounds like it could be a faulty zone valve or pump, coupled with an unbalanced system. Assume you have at least three, i.e DHW, ground and first floor and top floor?

If its always been like that it could be a wiring fault coupled with an unbalanced system. If its been ok before sounds like it could be a faulty zone valve or pump, coupled with an unbalanced system. Assume you have at least three, i.e DHW, ground and first floor and top floor?
Yes 3 DHW. It's always been like that I just stupidly never reported it to the builder as a fault as I didn't think it was a major issue. Its only now where its been really cold that we've had to turn the thermostat upstairs to 28 degrees to get it to heat up downstairs. I've had a couple of leaks which have now been repaired and it was that plumber that advised me that it could be that the pipework has been done incorrectly!

Yes incorrect piping could also be a cause. Sounds expensive. Provide they have at least correctly zone hot water and heating disregarding upper and lower floor there could be a work around with controls. Wirelessly move the upper zone thermostat to ground floor to form one heating zone (opening both valves in tandem). You could do a more sophistcated with Evohome. Otherwise it’s floors up and boxings off to trace and correct pipework, which could be a total mare considering chipboard construction these days. As the house is less than six years you would have a case in law for defect’s liability I think which you could pursue through small claims.

Yes incorrect piping could also be a cause. Sounds expensive. Provide they have at least correctly zone hot water and heating disregarding upper and lower floor there could be a work around with controls. Wirelessly move the upper zone thermostat to ground floor to form one heating zone (opening both valves in tandem). You could do a more sophistcated with Evohome. Otherwise it’s floors up and boxings off to trace and correct pipework, which could be a total mare considering chipboard construction these days. As the house is less than six years you would have a case in law for defect’s liability I think which you could pursue through small claims.
Thanks for your help

I've spoken to the builders and they are not prepared to do anything so I now have to commission an independent report detailing the issues. I then have to provide the builder with a copy to see whether they wish to rectify the problems. If they refuse then it's off to court I go!

Reply to Zonal heating issues!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock