Search the forum,

Discuss zip pressure reducing valve operation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I had a problem with an Ariston 30L water heater in a village hall whereby the hot water flow has steadily reduced to almost nothing over a period of a year. When you open the hot water tap you get a burst of water then it slows and stops after only a small amount has come out. Suspected blocked filter or outlet but all OK. Next suspect is what looks like a Zip pressure reducing valve (nominal 3Bar) with filter. Checked filter, clear and OK. Have not done a static pressure test yet on incoming cold but it may be less than 3 bar in the day. Does a 3 bar pressure reducing valve need more than 3 bar to flow or should it pass water and gradually shut off as the pressure increases to 3 bar. I can only get this one to flow by increasing the pressure setting well above the nominal 3 bar factory set point and that seems counter-intuitive.

No they don't need a min of 3 bar to operate they just won't reduce the pressure

Are you G3 registered?

If you put 2 bar through a P.Reg.V. set to 3 bar you'll get almost 2 bar through it. (minor internal losses)

Anything over 15 litre unvented needs G3 ticket, so hope you have it and a public building even more important

Anything over 15 litre unvented needs G3 ticket, so hope you have it and a public building even more important

Any water heater now mate

Blimey Shaun, I never knew that and I only renewed my ticket 10 mths ago. When did that happen?

Thought I had a problem with an Ariston 30L water heater in a village hall whereby the hot water flow has steadily reduced to almost nothing over a period of a year. When you open the hot water tap you get a burst of water then it slows and stops after only a small amount has come out. Suspected blocked filter or outlet but all OK. Next suspect is what looks like a Zip pressure reducing valve (nominal 3Bar) with filter. Checked filter, clear and OK. Have not done a static pressure test yet on incoming cold but it may be less than 3 bar in the day. Does a 3 bar pressure reducing valve need more than 3 bar to flow or should it pass water and gradually shut off as the pressure increases to 3 bar. I can only get this one to flow by increasing the pressure setting well above the nominal 3 bar factory set point and that seems counter-intuitive.
The pressure reducing valve is meant to maintain downstream pressure of 3 bar, irrespective of higher upstream pressure, within limits of design pressure, and maximum flow determined by size of valve. If the upstream pressure is below 3 bar it goes wide open, and flow falls off as the upstream pressure falls. Your symptoms look a bit peculiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to zip pressure reducing valve operation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock