Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Zero access shower tray fitting in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Evening all

I wondered if any of you could help with stage 2 of my next project. The fitting of a shower tray and tanking of the shower area.

As you can see from the photos below, I have now finished the en suite apart from the shower area, which i couldn't start until the immersion cupboard was empty (unvented system now fitted elsewhere in the house). The wall is now removed into the cupboard with a view to going for a 700x1200 shower tray, length to make up for how narrow it is - then refitting a new wall for the new airing cupboard. The walls are roughly 15mm plasterboard, 3 pieces dot and dabbed which unfortunately means i cannot easily replace them with shower board. The waste in the picture is 40mm, running approx 3 meters directly into the soil pipe with a light drop, hopefully this will be enough for the water volume dispersed by the new pressurised hot water system.

The plan is to fit a shower tray, probably a flat resin type with a 2-3" lip as you walk into the shower- this will be tiled using polished porcelain, the same as what i have already laid in the rest of the en suite.

So looking at my various options and given how the walls are, my plan was to tidy the walls up further, sanding the filled bits and filling the remaining holes with spare dot and dab, then possibly using the Schluter membrane system on the walls, down to the tray, siliconing the tray around the edges. Advisable or over/under kill?

Dilemmas - firstly i had considered the full Schluter system using their drain solution as a back up should the tray seal fail at the edge or near the drain, but this with their polystyrene tray raises the floor up too much - 40mm for the tray and 35mm for the ply which is the distance the soil pipe protrudes above the current floor - then adding the shower tray on top! So presume I am best fitting a tray on a sound ply base and siliconing the edges? or possibly tanking the base with for example, Mapei's tanking kit, where the ply meets the wall. Thoughts?

And finally, for the drain, do i create my own U bend with solvent 90's running into a vertical drain, or go for a drain with integrated chamber to combat soil pipe smells? which would be the best for flow...

Sorry for all the questions - I have done a lot of reading and understandably want the best solution.

Thanks

Tim

2. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

3. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Tricky job that one your waste connection is not low enough to have a wet room style drain personally I would advise fitting a Mira Flight tray this will need a riser kit or you could form it in timber and marine ply, I think it will be alot easir to keep everything leak free, up stairs wetrooms can be nightmare I would always advise fitting a former into the timber floor removing the floor boards if you must have a linear type drain but as i said not a easy job . Cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Thanks kop.. It won't be a wet room style fully, the waste will be level once I've put two pieces of 18mm ply down... Is it worth removing the boards and putting 3 pieces of ply down? The boards are sound so can't see why, but if it's the done thing.

I could get limited access if strictly necessary from adjoining rooms, but I had planned to fit the waste and test the joints after lining it up to the precut hole in the ply, once I've test fitted the tray.

Now thinking of tanking the base too and silicone the membrane to the base of the drain before sandwiching the drain to the tray, with the performed seal.

6. king of pipes

You need a fall on the waste bud you risk not being able to clear the water you could possibly have a flood the more care you can take sealing everything up before tiling the better . Good luck kop

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

8. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Kop... Given my issues here, and the size of the area. I have to go for a bespoke tray. Is it worth looking at pumped waste?

The only other alternative I can think is to run with 3x18mm marine ply off the existing floor boards, then the shower tray on top... The top of the 40mm waste pipe will then be approx 50mm below the level of the water. Then fit a low profile drain perhaps? Or maybe a short drop into 4x 40mm 45's and straight onto return, creating my own slim trap

9. king of pipes

your over thinking this a bit bud keep it simple water won't run up hill and will sit in a level horizontal pipe and block up even if you use a pump it still needs a fall, what ever way you go it needs to be higher than the outlet don't go making your own bits up , you won't get shallower than these traps got me out of a a few situations . Kop

Screenshot_20180901-210127.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. king of pipes

AKW wet room shower tray former Google these bud video on how to fit them and tank the floor if you decide to go that way . Kop

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Thanks again kop. I was considering that drain but a friend told me couple years ago (I don't speak to him anymore) that these drains can't handle the flow I'd get from an unvented... What's your experience with high flow? Also, with this drain would I be able to tag a membrane to it? I'm definitely going to tank but termination around the drain is my last issue.

My 40mm pipe has a drop of about 75mm over just under 3 meters if this helps?

Also now trying to talk the missus into a tiled base, it'll probably work out cheaper than one of the bespoke coloured trays with tanking. I've just looked at the AKW, nice and sturdy but I need the drain at the end

12. king of pipes

These traps will Handel 34 litres a minute if fitted correctly , plenty of kits available on eBay for wetrooms but what ever you choose fit as the manufactures instructions. Kop

13. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Thanks kop... So the final thing, how do you tank around the drain area, sandwich the membrane and silicone?

14. king of pipes

Look on you tube bud really depends on which system you go for. Kop

Screenshot_20180902-071420.png

Screenshot_20180902-071254.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

I'm thinking schluter as my walls aren't new plasterboard, but they don't have a drain that's compatible with trays, so I need to improvise.

impey kit is self adhesive, which I'm not comfortable with due to my walls...

Paint on systems won't seal around my drain..

Difficult one..