Search the forum,

Discuss you've heard it all before!!!! BUT??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, I have been reading through the posts and know you must be annoyed with all us new guys wanting advice on how to become Gas safe engineers. Am sorry to have to ask you, but i am just after a little advice.

I have just started my NVQ 3. I am working with a Gas engineer and have been for the past 18 months. I know to complete my level 3 i have to do my ACS. The thing is, we only seem to work on boilers. Mainly installations. Not many cookers at all. Not much maintenance either.

Is this going to be acceptable to get on the ACS course?

I do all the installation and my boss just comes and helps commission it when am done.

I look forward to your advice

Thanks

installs are good but you will need a service and repair section as well dont worry about other elements just do core ccn1 and cen1 and add cookers as a cat 1 no need for portfolio

Hi, thanks newbie. Thats is what i thought. It is a bit of a problem though as my boss does not seem to get any repair jobs. Is there a certain amount i need to get of each?

Cheers

you will need prob minimum 12 jobs mixture of service/repair cp12 as a minimum i would say
its tough but doable stick with it

thanks newbie. thats a great help. i will tell my boss to start picking up some gas certificates and repairs.

cheers

ye[, for an nvq3 you only need ccn1 and boilers. thing is for ccn1 you need a range of evidence, if you can just do a little on those types of jobs u should be ok coz u have alot of other experience

My college required me to do a set amount of hours on each appliance for my portfolio. You then had to drop it off at the college for them to check it was ok and hours completed before they would let you book the course. Check with the college to see exactly what there requirements are.

Cheers guys. The info really helps. So many dodgey companies out there. I just want to find a decent college that offers a decent ACS course. The college i am studying my level 3 at are a bit dodgey. Think they will do anything for a bit of money. Any one live around london and know of any decent colleges to do my ACS at?

Thanks guys

Yes! Seems to be more money in training gas fitters than gas fitting :) :)

Very true - but not as much as state benefits from what I can make out. I read about someone who takes £70,000 legally from the state each year.

Yes, dontknowitall, that is perhaps one person but there are nearly 3 million or more on Benefits how do they get on?

That is a bit like saying, because the boss of Pimlico Plumbing is a millionaire all other Plumbers are?

I would be a bit circumspect about anything I read in the press now days or politicos say. They usually have a reason for saying what they do and a press report will say virtually anything to get a story.
Politicos could tell you people on Benefits are lazy and get to much money perhaps, just so they can cut Benefits and want public sympathy for doing so.

But mention how much unpaid tax there is or how much businesses get away with and you get all kinds of excuses about keeping the economy going or they might leave the UK.

The banks may have made a mess of things and joe public is going to pick up the tab. But how much where the banks making in profits for years before the crash?

I suppose the real problem with the UK is that we don't have many or any living wage jobs only part time or low national minimum wage work.

If we did have decent jobs the the people on Benefits problem would probably disappear over night.

At the moment people on Benefit seem like swimmers getting a good hiding, because there is no water for them to swim in. :) :)

Very true Bernie2 - rather rash of me to say what I did in the light of your post and with hindsight!

Hi! Steve!

I was once a Plumbing tutor and know theory is cheap to deliver.
Its getting practical experience that counts. The Plumbing companies will not usually look at you without a track record, so people are advised to go self employed.

Which when you think about it, puts a lot of inexperienced people on the market place offering services?

To me its a shame and could be done a better way. I would go back to one of the old ways and subsidise companies to take on apprentices at any age to give them practical experience.

The thing is the world may object because it may be seen as giving our businesses an unfair trading advantage by subsidising their workforces.

In Liverpool we have a newly built cruise line landing stage. But can't use it because Southampton and a few other ports objected saying we had used EU money to part finance it and so had an unfair trading advantage.

So here we are with a lovely new landing stage that may bring in cruise line work and we can't use it in a city with perhaps rampant unemployment.

Its mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to you've heard it all before!!!! BUT??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock