Search the forum,

Discuss your opinion please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gpack

Hi,
I'm a complete novice so would really appreciate some help.
I went to see a customer who asked me about his solar hot water system. Thermo max tubes on the roof, a 130ltr vented cylinder, pump station, micro bore pipe work and cooking oil as the heating material.

System installed in 2009 but didn't work efficiently, kept overheating, a guy he new removed fluid and replaced with cooking oil. Kept having problems and now doesn't use.

Is there any way to salvage this system??

Heard of this muttered around merchants, thought it was a wind up/myth.

If the system is full of cooking oil it will be a swine to clear out, especially if it's emulsified!

A job like this sounds like it will cost more to repair than to install a new system, what horses a*** decided to put cooking oil in it?
If anything is salvagable then a few things need to be researched, i.e. what type & size of Thermomax collector (number of tubes) is it Either HP (HEATPIPE) or DF (direct flow) the type will be on the manifold. The DF may be a bigger problem to clean.
If you attempt to clean the system you should use a specific solar cleanser which are quite caustic be warned!
I imagine by the sound of it it will be a long job.
But if the customer is up for it, you should make them aware that there are not guarantees that something else may have been damaged in the system i.e. pump etc
I wish you the best of luck!

Really, do these people honestly think, after all the R&D that goes into these systems through the hundreds of companies involved in the solar industry, that they have thought of such a cracking,innovative and ground breaking idea that involves filling your solar system with cooking oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to your opinion please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I...
Replies
Views
I’d like some advice and opinions please. I have a 150 year old stone cottage ( 2 foot thick solid stone walls) some roof insulation and double glazed windows in a very cold exposed hill top position in the north western Yorkshire Dales. we are planning to put underfloor heating downstairs and...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The system is up and running and works okay but I feel it could work alot better if it were setup properly. Im not a plumber and really understand how parts...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice please. My system has 5 Drayton Wiser TRVs. There are 8 rads over 3 storeys and a 170l unvented cylinder. One of the attic rads is in the same zone as the cylinder so just has a "dumb" TRV on it. The two bathroom rads also remain without TRVs and I...
Replies
Views
I am renovating an old stone cottage in North Wales and need to install a complete new heating and plumbing system. I'm looking for impartial advice on the total system design and components. I would like to have a system that is cheap and efficient to operate. However, there are some aspects I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock