Search the forum,

Discuss Young plumber of the year. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just watched it. Not being sexist here but I knew from the get go they would make the girl win.

She didn't deserve to. The final challenge was a joke even so she had to squeeze her pipe ends with grips to make it work. She was prompted to find the ring in the trap, and she burnt the wall in the first challenge.

Plus she answered the least questions right in the Q & A.

If she deserved to win, then all power to her, I feel it was a fix.

Of course it was a fix. All for good television. They will all improve with time. Good luck to them all. They should all do well.

Best bit was the look on the girls face when she let the pump bleed screw drop when trying to fix the boiler at the digs and the boy with the glasses made a smart comment. I thought she was going to hook him:D

yeah its on the bbc iplayer, and that bit made me chuckle too she had a well smart bike!

Yeah I think it was a fix too.

That task at the end was pretty crap, how does that define young plumber of the year? It doesn't.

They should have been set some mammoth installation task, or some super tricky fault finding.

Agreed with above, thought the final challenge was awfull as they totally forgot about the pressures etc (pressure is head or pipe size etc) and pump and just went mad on the creative side. Gives me alot of confidence that the work I am doing in pretty good.

Thought the best by far was the fault finding and the lad who went off first had a good approach but missed the fault on the shower which cost him his place.

Be intereseted to see what the knock on effect of this prog is and how the industry changes, cos we all know that big things are happening in training etc

Be interested to see how these guys were trained ie apprenticeships, fast track, company etc

Just watched it and I agree with you all. Honestly, having to sqeeze the ends of the pipes with grips to overcome the low pressure issue due to incorrect pipe size used was ridiculous.

To be honest, if that is a snap shot of the best young plumbers out there, I'm a little worried!

Final task should be to swap a now obsolete pacific lisbon 2" drop valve , 3/8th euro botom feed inlet (with no service valve) and flush cone washer in a tiled porcelain boxed in concealed Thomas Dudley cistern with only half closing dodgy victorian stopcock outside , with inside lead main stopcock half under cement and no longer used ( handle wiped shut), with no side access panel whilst rescuing a hidden superglued live crab located underneath cistern using the least amount of parts with patronising customer watching in one hour causing no damage.

Now come on charlie wheres your imagination ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant programme! Made for entertaining TV audiences - not for fairness to candidates or accuracy in portraying the job - but that's TV, isn't it?

Of course it was a fix but just about everything on TV is.

Link for anyone wanting it: BBC iPlayer - Young Plumber of the Year

As for the contestants - They're only young to be fair. And honestly how well would any of us think we'd do with the cameras and lights and presenters and pressure? Especially in your early 20's.. It can't be easy. Your mind goes blank. I think they all did well and they'd all be an asset to any company.

If I was going to criticise anything it'd be the challenges. What's the point of testing people on skills they basically don't need?

First challenge: Not wasting so much as an millimetre of copper on an installation. Why would they need to do that?

Second challenge: Making sure you paw through any sludge you pull out of a trap incase there's a diamond ring in it. We all do that don't we?

Third Challenge: How often do you have to be locked in a metal box and interrogated on trap seals with a camera in your face?

Last challenge: That looked well fun. I'd love a go at that. But again - I'm not convinced (even though I understand the theory) that once the cameras and lights and countdown started I'd think to test pump pressure before I chose the pipe sizes.

Really enjoyed it though. That Pimlico Plumbers bloke looks like he's waiting for his slot on Dragon's Den.

At the end of it all, it's just TV entertainment, and nobody in the industry will take it seriously.

I was surprised that there was no reference to the Gas Safe Register, especially when they were messing with the boiler. I believe the young lady was gas reg but again, you think they would make it clear that a plumber is not able to do such a thing unless gas reg.

Anyway I'm off out to my next job, one of my customers wants me to make them a water feature out of 15mm and 10mm copper pipe.

It was an oil boiler and she was correct with her answer of what should be fitted above a main stopcock, A double check valve THEN a drain cock. No point in fitting drain valve then double check as it will drain nothing.

Tamz, I said that to my mrs....check valve, then drain valve. I was doubting myself.

As for the depth of seal in a bath waste, why do we need to know that? You but a trap and know that it is the right depth.

I didn't have a clue, finally, why they wanted the trap size in mm and wouldn't accept inch and half is beyond me.

Stupid programme.

Tamz, I said that to my mrs....check valve, then drain valve. I was doubting myself.
You were right.
As for the depth of seal in a bath waste, why do we need to know that? You but a trap and know that it is the right depth.
Because you can buy 19mm (which should discharge to a hopper with length restrictions) and 38mm seal traps (same or 2 pipe systems) that can not be fitted legally on a single stack system (50mm min)
I didn't have a clue, finally, why they wanted the trap size in mm and wouldn't accept inch and half is beyond me.
Probably to do with some european directive
Stupid programme.

;):D:D

It was an oil boiler and she was correct with her answer of what should be fitted above a main stopcock, A double check valve THEN a drain cock. No point in fitting drain valve then double check as it will drain nothing.

haha as soon as he asked the question i said check valve, when he said drain valve i was shouting at the telly, TBF none of them said check valve,

Where are you getting the check valve from ? There is no requirement for NRV above stop tap only the drain valve

Where are you getting the check valve from ? There is no requirement for NRV above stop tap only the drain valve

I'm thinking the same, thats why the stop tap has a loose jumper.

My first reason is void, they are banned. My bad! :rolleyes:

On second thought thats why we have our air gaps, double checks, etc at point of use.

There is up here and i'm sure the rest of the uk will be the same. On a new build you won't get a supply if one is not fitted.

backflow.JPG

I fitted a new supply for a neighbour (private water supply so regs not necessary - stupid rule in my opinion) and I installed stop tap, check valve then drain valve. Was worried after last night, but reading the above I'm glad I did it that way.

Incidentally the private water supply is a bore hole shared with his neighbour and I didn't want the responsibility of the wrong stuff going down and contaminating things.

Bore hole is something different.
You need to look at the whole chapter relating to backflow.
For a house with a water main and stop tap its not needed.
You guys in the cities with high rise flats off a common main may need them

Last edited:
There is up here and i'm sure the rest of the uk will be the same. On a new build you won't get a supply if one is not fitted.

View attachment 1497

its all about standards isnt it tamz :), i feel sorry for these 3rd world countries with their contaminated water supplies, its a shame for their kids

SW want them fitted so is not an option up here. Been like that for around 12 years or more.

It is good practice anyhow as you can never guarantee whoever alters or fits things in the future will fit them at the appliance.

You have to remember we are slower this side of the wall;) And our water is a lot cleaner !!;);););)
Once the government realise they could put a tax on NRV's they will be in !

Last edited:
All of the tasks had nothing to do with the real world -

task 1 was rushed, to test their soldering I think the best solderer in the world would do crap work having to rush it into 45 mins - plus having a limited amount of pipe (I ALWAYS rough cut, then chop a bit off the end, i like it!)

task 2 was unrealistic problems - like finding a ring in the bottom of a trap (which would be full of black shiyte in the real world!), a bit of ptfe tape stuffed in the shower filter . . . Should have taken them to a real like student digs, with a load of real problems I think.

task 3 was the biggest joke of all really - I bet I get loads of calls from people wanting one of them in their back yard (NOT!)

It was very clinical the testing, like going back to college of somthing - fit loads of baths, and simply dont need to remember the size of a bath seal . . .

For a moment I thought the second judge was going to be the infamous scottish plumber of screwfix fame, Dick Puller . . . Having said that he is rascist, sexict and ageist so he might not be TV friendly!

I just did'nt understand how the other guy who got most of the questions right went, when aimee stayed.

me n my helper both watched it and came to the same conclusion - total dissapointment, the tasks were basic stuff no REAL challenge as such although the time limit on challenge one maybe. we both said wouldnt want her to do a boiler repair for us if shes gonna do dumbass stuff like completely removing the bleed screw from a ch pump on a sealed system thats still full of pressurised water (did you guys shake ur head when they did that?) i mean cmon surely they knew what was gonna happen.

i thought it would be a little more difficult,

and that lads fountain looked miles better and it actually worked 1st time. who cares if it spills over the edge, itd keep your lawn well watered.

next time thats on i think ill apply if its gonna be that simple. :)

I just did'nt understand how the other guy who got most of the questions right went, when aimee stayed.

because she was better looking. she was the hottest female plumber ive ever seen. you should see the one we have near us, a pitbull licking its rse looks better. super mega fugley doesnt even come close!

Thought how time change,in my day you would have had to bend the pipe round into each clip,using all those elbow would of be frowned upon

I mentioned that today in the merchants and a lad said 'what's the point of that,would be easy to bend plastic pipe round'...never entered his head,we were talking using bending copper :(:(

As for snots,they barley had a cold,I must have man flue

Don't under stand the tasks either,
hot and cold wrong way round,just change tap disc,s over,
blocked sink,half a bottle of one shot,blocked loo,get jetter in for ÂŁ5000
no hot in shower coz hot blocked,fit electric shower...sorted
....come's with experience though in all fairness :)

As for end project,way put so much effort and thought into it,looked like one of my bog standard heating installations ,half way through commissioning to me,no big deal

imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Young plumber of the year. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock