Search the forum,

Discuss you Find open ended gas valve in landlords check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heatman

what would you do if you Find open ended gas valve (Waterheater removed) in landlords check
Just put a cap on it. problem solved or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
it is RIDDOR reportable, but (i assume) you have capped it, so nothing will happen, although that technically isnt your concern it is the law, it is worth discussing with the landlord as whoever left it shouldnt be doing any more of their gas work

as said riddor and yes i would riddor the donut that did it as he was probable a cheapskate non registered messer

cap it off ,should really riddor,but cant see hse being that interested

well they would be if someone knocked against the valve and blew the building into next week

when i worked for bg we would often come accross,boilers nicked,open end pipes,
flues off boilers,we riddored for fun guess how many where followd up ,none

Why does everyone always want to stitch each other up?? We shouldnt have to report or bring to the attention of the customer how incompetent there installer is.

You should be able to shine by doing the right thing and offering a FAIR service. If you know the engineer or have contact details I would give him a ring and let him know. Not drag his bum up on a riddor. If its not leaking save yourself the paperwork and just cap it and test it. Then charge the customer.

We should help / educate each other.

Flanners, if you come across a situation that the Unsafe Situations Procedure says is RIDDOR reportable, then you RIDDOR it. Simple. Its not a case of grassing people up, its a case of doing YOUR job properly.

I agree rules are there to be followed. But if it can be easily rectified ie, (put cap on pipe and test) then just do it. My main point is...contact the engineer and let him know, it may give him a kick up the backside.

What will riddor do anyway? No harm done.

If it is however CLEAR that the installer doesnt know what the hell he is doing and is a risk to themselves and the public, then yeah riddor that suckers bum!!!!

I cannot see a gas plumber leaving a open ended valve

Thought we were talking about a old gas fire connection or maybe a valve leaf uncapped when a novice/builder had removed something

I just cap off and make safe,unless you know who did it and can prove it ie 12 witnesses ,no one is really interested,thats way we are doing the check,to make sure everything is safe

imho

Puddle I'd like to say your right but there are gas fitters and there are gas fitters and i've seen some corkers when doing acs courses
back to the thread how longs a piece of string do you report or do you fix? nothing went wrong this time! i've learnt over the years cover your bum cos no one else will when it goes
wrong report if nothing gets done you've carried out correct procedure

Last edited by a moderator:
Regs say riddor reportable. If you don't your not following regs and could risk losing your ticket. Riddor over the phone takes 2mins. Do it, take note of reference number at end - if they follow it up or not is down to them. Your back is then covered, and your paperwork correct.

Should Riddor. I paid alot of dosh to become Gas Safe reg. Worth trying to rid out the cowboys and you might save a life if enough people report him !

no point in a riddor if you dont know who did the work and are unlikely to get told, just make it safe and send photo to gas safe mag, might win a spanner!! If you know who it is report and get them skinned alive, prehaps then they wont touch things in future and those whove paid for all their training can get on and earn a reasonable wage. Unless you kick em hard, theyll keep robbing you of a decent living, thats why you should do it when you can flanners

Most blokes who fill out all the paper work and are traceable are qualified professional gas engineers.

Who ever did this was probably some cowboy, so good luck with that. HSE won't launch an investigation and track him down.

Cap it, test it, and advise the client. Ask if they know who stripped the water heater (bet they don't) and move on. If you can find out who did it, report it.

Had one a while back on safety check. Open end at cooker supply closed off by an ECV. Just cut and capped. Was housing authority job so was not worth perusing. Probably been previous tenants handy-work anyway.

Why does everyone always want to stitch each other up?? We shouldnt have to report or bring to the attention of the customer how incompetent there installer is.

You should be able to shine by doing the right thing and offering a FAIR service. If you know the engineer or have contact details I would give him a ring and let him know. Not drag his bum up on a riddor. If its not leaking save yourself the paperwork and just cap it and test it. Then charge the customer.

You might like the softly route, but if you fail to report a RIDDOR at a place of work, you can be prosecuted the same as the guy that left the uncapped pipe.

what ever happened to common sense anyone here read george orwell ? the thought police have got you scared to breathe without permission and report all you see or it will be you thats punished
cap it get paid job done

what ever happened to common sense anyone here read george orwell ? the thought police have got you scared to breathe without permission and report all you see or it will be you thats punished
cap it get paid job done

i know why you are saying this, but if you do report it as you should, and advise the owner/landlord, they wont drop their other guy in it BUT they might stop using them and you then might have a wee chance of more work if you prove you are decent, and even if you dont get the next work at least the cowbot might get bumped

i know why you are saying this, but if you do report it as you should, and advise the owner/landlord, they wont drop their other guy in it BUT they might stop using them and you then might have a wee chance of more work if you prove you are decent, and even if you dont get the next work at least the cowbot might get bumped

Kirk and Old plumber seem to be morphing into one individual, or hes just copying my comments:)

Well I agree with Steve, cap it, and move on. There's no way this was a professional. So the chances of tracking him down are very slim. Make the client aware of the danger, ask if they know who did it...they will probably say 'no'. Then say:

'Oh well, he was a cowboy, but I've put it right'.

Do you REALLY think reporting it will change anything?

Not really Dan but as has been said before, you'd be covering your own behind.

Same as me, you're the one doing the job AND the paperwork properly.

Which means if and when an inspector drops in on you OR if the custard has an unrelated problem 5 squillion years in the future yours is the only traceable bit of work and if you haven't reported it to RIDDOR..........

When it comes to my bottom there are no prisoners!

I think to many are out to stitch each other up in this industry , to many falling out of the services with a attitude to make an impression , if it was humping of gas in there then yes RIDDOR them , if not make safe and note previous installer if you have contact details . It may have been a legitimate mistake and got way laid .
Like most things common sense, personally have been to many jobs to do landlord certs etc where previous engineers have made boo boos just correct there ers !!

well said mate i would not grass your open ends up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to you Find open ended gas valve in landlords check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock