Discuss Yet another stop tap question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as you have shown with the arrows. You would stop short of cutting through the thred. You could finish the last bit with a junior hacksaw.It will break off ok with a good twist. Not too much heat, just enough for the remainder of the elbow to expand and loosen it's grip on the vertical.
If there is enough room for the elbow to turn without hitting the wall you can try with stillsons but you can run the risk of making the joint in the floor leak.
If it does go wrong, as you say use the philmac fitting.

If you can get it off a the outside toby it's an hour's work plus a tap I'd do it for £108

Yep, external isolation not a problem - got a brand new tap out there! Is that an offer?!

Two ways to do it you remove the existing tap and fitting to the iron new fitting copper and stop tap. If that part isn't sound cut back re-thread same deal. Or as said fit a new one in front and leave that one on.

I'm in Scotland.

Just looked at the pics again. I would turn off in street drain down, remove existing stop tap. Get a wet vac and suck the water out the pipe from the main. Get plenty heat on and that fitting will come out the elbow and all for sure and it will be fine. New female iron to compression elbow & PTFE job done. Get a decent set of stilsons. Done this quite a few times without any real issues.

Use the fitting to the stoptap as a lever on the elbow the cut it away once it starts turning so you canb rotate the elbow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to my neighbour last night and he mentioned he was having a plumber around this morning to fit his new dishwasher. Asked him to send him over to mine afterwards for another quick opinion on my stop-tap :)

15 minutes later - new tap body from local plumbers merchant fitted and job done.

Thanks again everyone for your help but it turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Yet another stop tap question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock