Discuss yet another how do i become a gas engineer thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is another problem, which is using one "standard" for a whole range of activities.

For example, if I was just fitting hobs and cookers in new kitchens, then I dare say you could teach me all I needed to know in 6 weeks.

Similarly, if I was a maintenance engineer for a specific product - say for example a gas-fired laundry machine - then again, I could learn all the gas safety stuff in a few weeks.

The problem comes when we pretend that this "domain specific" knowledge is equated with being able to install, maintain, diagnose and fix a whole raft of products from different times and makers.

Its not right to insist that the former guy completes a 4yr apprenticeship to do that limited job. Yet its also not right to pretend that 6 weeks makes you a sodding expert in everything!

Totally agree Simon i think the key is safe working practices though isn't it? You might come across a boiler with a brand new fault that you've never experienced but it's all about working through methodically and above all safely. This is my point with the diyers/illegals who never have tools for safety eg FGA etc. everyday is indeed a school day but unlike the have a go heroes we keep ourself and the customer out of harm.

Very true. You just go through your fault finding and away you go. Always get a real sense of achievment when its not a standard problem and youve nailed it.

The thing is everybody has to start somewhere, but the number of times you get called to a boiler breakdown and its not the boiler means that you cant just train people in 'how a boiler works', you need to see the bigger picture, external controls, blocked cold feeds, pumping over etc etc.

I'm lucky that I think quite logically and when all else fails I have the phone number of a couple of guys who have seen a bit more than me. Its a last resort, but I know they are there if I need them.

Maybe the newcomers would be better off paying us their money and getting a proper education? Or it could be the beer speaking :)

Your right Ray, this is one of the reasons i joined this forum , ,,, to better myself,,, we never stop learning day in day out ,, the amount of tips we pick up off each other on here is priceless, and a lot of questions by joe public will see different answers and all could be right as each persons experience is different , but even if you were to get something diagnosed wrong then its all part of the learning curb, but its the person who hasnt experience but thinks hes a know it all in 6 weeks that is dangerous,

I had someone phone me asking if he could shadow me on installs, services etc. He would pay ME for doing this and I sign his paperwork off.

His English wasn't the best.

I am not getting involved in this kind of Bull S* even if there is money in it for me

I wouldnt, this is probably someone that wants an easy meal ticket so once he gains a few weeks experience he'l buy a van start a business and become a dangerous fleecer, or maybe thats harsh he maybe just wants to better himself but there a proper apprenticeships for that,

Ok, so all the young lads and lasses are going to be indentured. TO WHO exactly? The last real craftsmen are all dead! We are merely technicians!

I'm controls and combustion , pipework is a fitters job. Not a wholistic approach anymore. Too many variations and permutations of systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to yet another how do i become a gas engineer thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock