Search the forum,

Discuss Y Plan with 1 Rad Getting Hot!!?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have recently replaced a 3 port diverter valve (head & Valve), however I had a call back today as the custmer was complaing that one of the rads was still getting hot when the HW is on.

I carried out some fault logic on the diverter valve and it is operating correctly. I did leave it on for a while and nearest radiator to the airing cupboard (literally 300mm away) was on/hot, all other rads were cold.

The owner of the house has only just moved in so unsure if this was happening before the motorized valve went.

I can only assume that the rad nearest is the last Tee off on the system, with the return off the cylinder being second to last??

It is a two pipe system, could that rad be run off one pipe??

A few assumptions running through my head, any feedback would be welcome.:confused:

PS. I am unable to check the design of the pipework.

Sounds like the HW return is the second last T and not the last like it should be.

Not a bathroom rad is it.

Could be plumbed of the hot water side.

bets are it`s run off HW side was quite common to do this a while back...

It used to be quite common to run hot water through a towel rail in a bathroom. I'm not a plumber but have seen this arrangement in several older properties. It meant you could still air towels in the summer when there was no heating on. Usually though they were cold first thing in the morning until you ran the hot tap (the ones I know of it was just the hot in the bathroom that went through them).

It was common to run towel rails in bathrooms on the domestic HW many many years ago. When the main heat source was from a SF open fire.

ha ha, Brilliant

I have fitted a few rads on to HW in recent months

they aren't cheap though being brass towel rail jobbies

any word back yet on the rad and if it is plumbedd in of the DHW

Last edited:
Would be a good fitment in the old airing cupboard after a combi installation. A small rad on the hot water system and you have your airing cupboard back in operation..

ha ha, Brilliant

I have fitted a few rads on to HW in recent months

they aren't cheap though being brass towel rail jobbies

any word back yet on the rad and if it is plumbedd in of the DHW

Would this comply with Part L of the Building reg

Sounds like the HW return is the second last T and not the last like it should be.

yep spot on the last t must go to domestics hence your problem and it must have been like that before bloody customers

It is back feeding up the return and will always have done so (feel the pipes). Either move the tee farther back the return or they close the valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Y Plan with 1 Rad Getting Hot!!?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a sealed system with 18 Rads/towel rads which is run by a greenstar boiler with a sealed hot water tank. I'm using a tado thermostat and the Pump is a 15/50 Groundfos. The issue is there are two radiators that are cold. So I closed down every radiator except for these two, apart...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock