Search the forum,

Discuss Y-plan valve causing boiler shutdown when switching positions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a Y-plan 3 port valve in my system, no idea of make, it's been installed for a number of years has been working fine, but now I've had a new boiler fitted it seems to be a lot more sensitive to temporary interruptions in flow, e.g. when the valve switches between mid position and heating only, the boiler shuts down for a few minutes before eventually firing again.

I suspect it's because when the valve is turning it momentarily shuts off the flow to both mid and heating ports - my question is would a newer valve solve this (i.e. are modern valves designed not to interrupt flow whilst turning)? Or would a bypass solve this (I don't have one)? Or should I just not worry about it?

nope thats how 3 ports work best option is switch to an s plan system

The increased off time will be an anti cycling feature of the new boiler. It won't be the flow but a momentary interruption in run signal to boiler.

Is this behaviour normal on a Y-plan system?

Would prefer if the boiler stays lit whilst the valve is switching, but doesn't sound like there's a lot I can do about it.

Yes normal

Other than s plan

Reply to Y-plan valve causing boiler shutdown when switching positions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW off Thermostat turned to on Heating comes on as normal, valve moved to CH position After around 20 minutes the 3 way valve moves to mid point and...
Replies
Views
Customer complains of Intermittent heating on Y plan with Stat satisfied. New boiler fitted last year (no permanent live required or fitted previously) on an existing Y plan system. Existing timer was a Randall 103 (no hot water off position as its a timer not a programmer). The customer wanted...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a NEST with Viessmann system boiler with unvented cylinder. I have a mid position and two position valve I thought the mid position valve was faulty as it was not switching off I got new actuator - the right one (40003916-003/U) . The manuals do make a reference to v4073a1039...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just installed a Tado system with the Wireless Reciever and Two Smart Thermostats. Without getting into the weeds of Tado, I want to energize the CH system all the time. But Why? I have two thermostats which control a demand valve each which when opened kick the boiler and the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock