Search the forum,

Discuss XPress fittings, pros and cons. Opinions please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Deleted member 96286

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi, looking at getting into press fit fittings as I like the speed that they can be installed on copper, and without a flame, or a big ugly plastic or compression fitting. They look great and earth continuity is maintained and are tamper proof on copper. The fittings are also inexpensive.
Apart from the expense of the press fitting tool, I'm looking for pros and cons of the press fit system. I'll only be using 15mm - 28mm.
Opinions please, before I spend my cash.

Hi, looking at getting into press fit fittings as I like the speed that they can be installed on copper, and without a flame, or a big ugly plastic or compression fitting. They look great and earth continuity is maintained and are tamper proof on copper. The fittings are also inexpensive.
Apart from the expense of the press fitting tool, I'm looking for pros and cons of the press fit system. I'll only be using 15mm - 28mm.
Hire the machine for a few week and see just how much you use it and what you think. They aren't that much to hire, so well worth trying it.

Keep me posted I'm interested to see what you finally go for.

I have used press fit on a couple of charity days , and to be honest I was blown away on how good they are.
I am a well publicised tight arsed old yorkshire man and probably wouldnt invest , 10 years ago I should have . That should tell you something.
However I can solder in areas you would not be able to press .

right here we go

pros
doesnt leak aslong as youve pressed it :D
easy to do
no hot works
quick
no harmful vapours

cons
bulky
cost of start up
need to plan ahead

All good, have used them for a good few years now and can't fault them.
I have a REMS machine and use up to 2inch, well worth the investment.
I would also recommend you invest in the proper pipe cutting tool, have a look at the REMS website.
Bob

All good, have used them for a good few years now and can't fault them.
I have a REMS machine and use up to 2inch, well worth the investment.
I would also recommend you invest in the proper pipe cutting tool, have a look at the REMS website.
Bob

cento?

i like them they are neat don't discolour copper (no heat), no flux. they are not cheap but not far from plastic pricewise so you have to check prices before you quote, can be used on water and gas (with appropriate gas ones). and you nead to plan jobs as you need good access to press joints.

Last edited:
I've ordered in about £150 worth of fittings in 15mm and 22mm, which should be used up fairly quickly. As a price comparison, they are roughly about the same as Hep2o fittings and more expensive than Speedfit and end feed.

They just look good and are also something that can't be tampered with by diy'ers and are a form of pipework that only professionals will take on, mainly due to the cost of the pressing tool. I'll post up a review in a few weeks after I've given them a thorough test.

I was advised to look at getting the tool through Hilti Fleet as it would cost about £35 per month including servicing and free upgrades to the latest model. If anyone has experience of this service, please let me know your thoughts on it here.

I've ordered in about £150 worth of fittings in 15mm and 22mm, which should be used up fairly quickly. As a price comparison, they are roughly about the same as Hep2o fittings and more expensive than Speedfit and end feed.

They just look good and are also something that can't be tampered with by diy'ers and are a form of pipework that only professionals will take on, mainly due to the cost of the pressing tool. I'll post up a review in a few weeks after I've given them a thorough test.

I was advised to look at getting the tool through Hilti Fleet as it would cost about £35 per month including servicing and free upgrades to the latest model. If anyone has experience of this service, please let me know your thoughts on it here.

where did you get the fittings from?

JTM. They have great prices on all of their copper fittings. I get my end feed in bulk here as it's very cheap and free next day delivery on orders over £50.
A XPress 15mm elbow is £1.37 including VAT, which is cheaper than a Tectite Sprint and a Hep2o plastic pushfit bend.

Last edited:
do you have a bss account?

No mate only BES, good link you posted above, cheers:) The Geberit fittings look good and are cheaper.

np if you are looking at getting into the bigger stuff bss work out cheaper than my link :)

Quick question, the XPress version is available in chrome. Do these chrome fittings press directly on to chrome pipe without having to remove the chrome plating?

correct

the copper ones will as well but arnt chrome :D

the geberit ones do its 22m thats the pain as all the others are close

If you start using a crimping machine DO NOT USE xpress fittings. These are cheap, after crimping you can easily turn them around. Those fittings also leak. These fittings are the poorest crimping fittings which you can get. Viega or geberit for me.

really this again ron they dont turn

i have never had that problem and have used thousands of them in commercial boiler houses and systems over the years.

really this again ron they dont turn
They do!
Poor quality fittings. They aren’t even round those fittings. I used to use them but due to 2 leaks I stopped using them. Never had any issue with viega fittings. If you had a leak you would see it straight away which has a specific german term sc Kontur... normally those fittings are sealed without even using an o ring because it is a metallic connection. However, nobody said you cannot use them, I stopped due to their poor quality. You should try it out to turn them once they are crimped.

i have never had that problem and have used thousands of them in commercial boiler houses and systems over the years.
That’s fine, I never said that no one should use them. I decided otherwise due to my experience. But you can see the difference if you hold two different fittings in your hand ( viega and xpress ).

My understanding of the XPress fittings is that they are deliberately not made round and made triangular. This is a feature called LBP, or leak before pressing so that they intentionally leak if not pressed so that you can confirm that it hasn't been pressed. I'm a complete novice with press fittings, so all info is appreciated.

You sure you pressed it with m jaws and no a different type

As m type presses a hex in the fitting a pipe so it's physically impossible to turn it without disforming the hex

Apart from price, a couple of things to consider:

Working in tight spaces and trying to get the crimper in can be tricky, and could crush the fitting if not on properly, so you must plan ahead. The mini rems is better for tight spaces imo, and alot lighter.

Also, not sure if you would use the fittings in concealed places as they are sealed by a rubber o ring, which I heard will degrade after time.

Other than that, they are quick and easy to use, with no mess from flux or heat mats needed etc.

Also, not sure if you would use the fittings in concealed places as they are sealed by a rubber o ring, which I heard will degrade after time

Interesting point, well from an engineering perspective anyway...

My, albeit limited, knowledge of o-rings is that certain ones do degrade over time due to oxygen and also uv light. I'd be interest to know what they use.

If people recall, the org JG pushfit inserts had 2 nitrile o-rings. They then had failures so changed one to blue (viton)...

One point to add they don't count on the oring it's only there for a secondary seal

I've removed one and pressure tested upto 14 bar no leak

Reply to XPress fittings, pros and cons. Opinions please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock