Search the forum,

Discuss Worst boiler to work on competition in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As above, whats the worse part/boiler you've had to work on and why? (no detail into gas safety as it's in the wrong forum!)

personally for me, after today i'm voting Worcester CDI expansion vessel. Wasn't much left in it once I got the old one out, fan, heat ex, plate hex, pump, APS etc all removed.... nightmare! Normally fit an external in, but couldn't on this one.
I hate changing the plate heat exchanger or water storage tank on a Worcester Highflow, now that is a nightmare job. Did you know with the Worcester CDI expansion vessel, if you have enough clearance you can pop the side of the case off and re-revit back on? This is what Worcester engineers do. Another nightmare job has to be the condensing unit at the back of a Worcester CDI Extra.
have you noticed, all of the above are Worcester boilers, I fooking hate them pmsl

Pretty sure you have to angle grind a hole in the chassis to get it out the right hand side, couldn't imagine the customer being to pleased about the mess and noise!

It's that 3/4" union on the plate heat exchanger that winds me up, it always feels like it wants to cross thread, normally flapping around with it for 5 minutes, especially if you've only got 150mm clearances below from the worktop, one hand through the front trying to get it to line up, and the front facia panel swings down in the way..

I'm not a fan of worcesters at all, sometimes I think they do it deliberately so they get more work, couldn't imagine a more stressful job than working for worcester

Last edited:
The 3 Buderus GB162's in a galvanising factory over here. They're only 3 years old but look 103, each one has been completely rebuilt at least once, 2 heat exchangers, all the connection boards, two wiring harnesses, the combustion fans fail about every other month, one flue has been replaced and so on. My heart sinks every time I'm asked to go to silverwood.

And why are they so much hard work? Because they supply hot water for the acid vats and are in a highly corrosive atmosphere. Tools develop a fine layer of corrosion within an hour. I hate the place because it actually makes you doubt yourself.

And I normally love the GB162! Just a case of the wrong boiler for the environment.

Had a phone call yesterday......

"Silverwood's just rung, they've a 3L 214 error message on boiler 1, its not working."

"Sigh...... I'll order a fan up for next week......"

I hate changing the plate heat exchanger or water storage tank on a Worcester Highflow, now that is a nightmare job. Did you know with the Worcester CDI expansion vessel, if you have enough clearance you can pop the side of the case off and re-revit back on? This is what Worcester engineers do. Another nightmare job has to be the condensing unit at the back of a Worcester CDI Extra.
have you noticed, all of the above are Worcester boilers, I fooking hate them pmsl
yep riveted many back together,though did once slip with a full of water EV and kill the gasvalve electrical connections

Pretty sure you have to angle grind a hole in the chassis to get it out the right hand side, couldn't imagine the customer being to pleased about the mess and noise!

It's that 3/4" union on the plate heat exchanger that winds me up, it always feels like it wants to cross thread, normally flapping around with it for 5 minutes, especially if you've only got 150mm clearances below from the worktop, one hand through the front trying to get it to line up, and the front facia panel swings down in the way..

I'm not a fan of worcesters at all, sometimes I think they do it deliberately so they get more work, couldn't imagine a more stressful job than working for worcester
if your talking cdi then nope just drill the rivets out

Cheers, I'll remember that for next time, I was told you needed a grinder, so the chassis is just pop riveted together?

Sounds a lot easier than the other day, does it work both sides or only the right?

ideal elan with the brown slide up glass front, a classic. pressure relief valve on a wb junior, find it easier once to undo the flue and unions and lift the boiler off to get at it. why do remeha have an off centre flue so fitting a replacement in a row of cupboards is a nightmare? also condense and pr, why dont they come out at the back in line with all the rest of the pipes instead they come out some where in the middle? still working on ideal minimisers another classic ideal design, along with the newer

Cheers, I'll remember that for next time, I was told you needed a grinder, so the chassis is just pop riveted together?

Sounds a lot easier than the other day, does it work both sides or only the right?
both sides just get a drill and big enough hss bit,drill the heads off

Before reading the first comment I was going to say Worcester CDI. I had to change the diaphragm on one, absolute nightmare. Took ages. Did one on a Baxi 80e the other day, done in 10 minutes. Worcesters are an absolute pain to change any part. The Greenstar JNRs are just as bad, ever changed a prv on one? Joke, an engineer I was talking to cuts the chassis out the way to get it out that way.

Buderus 500 28c water block.
Takes worcester engineers 4hrs apparently.
Took me three and a bit. Right bar steward tho.

Before reading the first comment I was going to say Worcester CDI. I had to change the diaphragm on one, absolute nightmare. Took ages. Did one on a Baxi 80e the other day, done in 10 minutes. Worcesters are an absolute pain to change any part. The Greenstar JNRs are just as bad, ever changed a prv on one? Joke, an engineer I was talking to cuts the chassis out the way to get it out that way.

I change the complete diverter now rather than remove the diverter anyway, replace diaphragm and re fit diverter. They are not even that expensive as they must sell so many every time the diaphragm splits!

Never changed a PRV on a junior but thinking about the way it fits into the plastic piece I can see what a stupid design it is

Did a Baxi 80 he instant divertor valve the other day, of course no washers or o rings supplied. Took me 3 hrs what a pig boiler this is, worst Baxi have ever made IMO.

Why? What problems have you had?

I hate the plastic case. I hate the stupid display that confuses every customer. Hate the way that when you unpack it and remove the plastic plugs half a pint of jet black water comes out. Always half to free the pump up on start up. Nuts are a nightmare to tighten. Condense fitting is in a stupid spot that always looks pony no matter how you pipe it. So all in all, not keen!

Its a bit obvious but can we now do THE EASIEST BOILER to work on

Diamond are they the old sauniers that had a flap in the flue as an APS?

AWheating I am still repairing pumas now! There are a few estates around here that were fitted up with them, and a few still remain.

Agree with millsy on the O ring subject, why is it some manufacturers give you 90% of the O rings you need to change a part how they suggest, and throw a few others in that are useless along the way? Have to do a diverter on another 28CDI next week, only needs a diaphragm but you have to remove the whole valve completely to get to the diaphragm so just as well chuck a new one in and get the washers/O rings with it as well. I think it almost works out cheaper as well.

You say anything french, personally I love the chaffoteaux britony combis I know them inside out and they are very easy to work on. Just don't touch anything you don't have to!

I always do diaphrams without removing the diverter valves on CDI's, the screw right at the back to take the head off is really alkward to get to but I use a small ratchett, still a nasty job but prefer it to removing whole thing.

Easiest - Open flue thorn M42 :) - More modern I've worked on a good few Baxi's and find them relatively easy to get around! The GloWorms are a mare!!!

went to look at a pig of a thing earlier was just told by the custy its a baxi combi,it was a baxi genesis,sorry mate not touching that

went to look at a pig of a thing earlier was just told by the custy its a baxi combi,it was a baxi genesis,sorry mate not touching that

Yes the Genisis was baxi's hybrid transition to the combi market! A monstrosity! The guts of a combi lumped on top of an apollo 80 If my memory serves me well?

Yes the Genisis was baxi's hybrid transition to the combi market! A monstrosity! The guts of a combi lumped on top of an apollo 80 If my memory serves me well?
its a chaff in disguise plastic everywhere

its a chaff in disguise plastic everywhere

Plastic ... hmmmm! So then it's the one with the guts slung underneath? Another horrible piece of kit I wonder what boiler it was with the gutts above? I'm sure it was a baxi???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worst boiler to work on competition in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock