Search the forum,

Discuss Working On My Vocal Work (Payment) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have been plumbing for around 16 months ,but I think I’m having issues with the ”Ohhs and ahhs”. I have completed some jobs where the customer has not paid, the latest was a new basin and some other general plumbing work, all was going fine until I asked for payment. The customer was totally happy with the work carried out. The customer asked me if I could come back tomorrow and she’d pay me. Arrived next day at the aranged time and no answer, despite the tv being on. She has now sent me a text saying she can’t pay. I’ve had 14 jobs I’ve completed where the customer has either paid nothing or a fraction of the cost of the work completed. I think I need help from experienced plumbers on my vocal work and getting the “ohhs and ahhs” just right, so I get paid. My prices are average and I work to good standards. I’m thinking of taking my Gas next year and I don’t want this sort of thing occurring on boiler installs for example. Many thanks Steve

Small jobs don't leave without getting paid even if it's via a cheque

Do you provide a quote or estimate before you start?

Both depends on the job of small normally quote if big job / risk of going wrong estimate

A quote is a quote

An estimate is an estimate

Proving either would reduce the chances of the issues the op is facing .

True but a quote is fixed an estimat isn't

That’s a shocking rate of non payers.
In 22 years of self employment, I’ve had 2 non payers.
Maybe I’m lucky. Or is it that I don’t let them have a chance at not paying.

Thats Dire mate you will be out of business in no time at that rate , you need to provide a written or printed estimate for each job you take on and agree the terms of payment before starting . Self employed plumber you need to be making £200 a day or you may aswell work on the books , don't be afraid to ask for part payment up front either that way your not gonna take such a bit hit if you have a non payer . Cheers kop

give them all another invoice with 7 days to pay if no payment within 7 days then another letter saying you are passing it to a debt collector. sell the debt on. they will soon cotton on you wont get all you are owed but will get some i think they pay you about 75% or thereabouts.

give them all another invoice with 7 days to pay if no payment within 7 days then another letter saying you are passing it to a debt collector. sell the debt on. they will soon cotton on you wont get all you are owed but will get some i think they pay you about 75% or thereabouts.

That's an interesting idea

Wonder how the OP is providing an invoice?

thats the advice that my friend had when someone disputed an invoice, you have to keep records of all contact though. always put your terms on the invoices make it either payment on completion or within 7 days, then reminder is 7 days and after that its letter to say passing to debt collection or take them to small claims court.

luckily in all my time only had 1 non payment and they went into aministration so didnt bother following up, as bill was £70.00 would have cost me more in paperwork to the administartors and then i would have been bottom of the payment list.

If the customer is in employment or/and owns property (a car, house or other assets), then small claims court as a last resort should eventually achieve payment of your invoice if your case is sound.
I would first allow a customer who says they don’t have the money to pay you in 2 or 3 instalments.
Ridiculous that someone orders a job and then pays nothing towards your time or materials - theft really!
Try getting everything in writing. Even an on the spot agreement between you and a customer is better to have a signed agreement unless you know and trust the person.
Remember email or text agreements are same as if on paper

Like the OP said, sounds like words got out you’ll roll over. This is a trust game to a degree, they trusting you’ll do what you say, you trusting they’ll pay. Get everything you can in writing, either an email or text that states they’ll pay on completion.
I’d set aside my lunch break to phone everyone on the list, if they get s phone call everyday they’ll pay in the end.
You could consider joining the Trustmark scheme, think it’s about £200 per year but they offer a free arbitration service if you fall out with the customer.
Failing that use your estwing

While not a plumber, I supply services to the pub trade and we have the worst payers in the world. You need to put the price and your terms in writing so they cannot claim surprise later. Then use this service. Business Debt Collection & Recovery Solicitors | Thomas Higgins Limited They are actual solicitors and the letter is around £10 for a consumer letter rather thana business letter. They scare the life out of people and we get paid 999 times out of a thousand in an industry where bad debts are the norm. If you join the FSB they have a scheme that is even better and costs less. (If the link isn't allowed please let me know and i will remove it. )

Nice post mrtibbs, useful to know and don't see why it should be edited, sooner or later we all get caught out.

I used to find the hardest of the job was asking for money. But having done the work the money is owed and must be paid. Just before you finish ask if they would like to pay cash cheque card or bank transfer. Simple as that. Don't give people a discount it only comes out of your pocket and you can't ask for a discount when you go shopping. Get materials money upfront, if they hesitate at this point walk away. Card machines are a Godsend, caught a few people with that one.
Wishing you all the best for the future.

I have only ever had 2 non payers in 14 yrs of running my business. And both have involved the company owing me money going into receivership, to have as many as you have had in just a few short months I have to ask myself are you up to the Job? As your customers must obviously think you are not. In my experience a happy customer always pays. There are 2 sides to every story what are your customers saying as to why they are withholding payments?

Bit harsh there, customers have been happy up to the time to pay.
What part of the country are you Steve?

I have only ever had 2 non payers in 14 yrs of running my business. And both have involved the company owing me money going into receivership, to have as many as you have had in just a few short months I have to ask myself are you up to the Job? As your customers must obviously think you are not. In my experience a happy customer always pays. There are 2 sides to every story what are your customers saying as to why they are withholding payments?

Darren. Ever heard of the word empathy?

The poor chap comes on here and has the courage to bear his soul in search of learning and betterment and all you do is savage him. Frankly that is neither clever nor supportive and, even if you are 100% correct, in my view you owe him an apology for your inappropriate manner.

Not a single person on here, or anywhere else, can say they have never sailed close to some form disaster or other. On some occasions we escape by the skin of our teeth on others we cop for it. None of it is deliberate, it just is.

Let's give the poor sod the benefit of our experience, as no doubt you had, and not make his situation all the worse.

My apologies everyone else for the rant.

Thanks for your advice. I’ve had lessons on my umms and ahhhs from another plumber since I posted this. Things are now going good, all the work I’ve done since the lessons I’ve been paid upfront or within 48 hours.

Thanks for your advice. I’ve had lessons on my umms and ahhhs from another plumber since I posted this. Things are now going good, all the work I’ve done since the lessons I’ve been paid upfront or within 48 hours.

In that case Steve. FAB start to 2019. Long may it continue pal ;)

Reply to Working On My Vocal Work (Payment) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock