Search the forum,

Discuss Working on gas lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I run this past a few of you just for your opinions.
I have been a maintenance engineer for over 40 years working on steam, air, oil and gas all my working life with pipe sizes up to 6” in dia. My question is does working on gas in my home require gas safe qualifications, is this right? Or does this come under competent persons statement. I do not intend doing any gas work as I have always had a corgi/gas safe engineers to carry out the work in my home even having to contact an engineer about a gas leak he had left me with. I just wondered that if I have competently worked with gas all my working life would I be ok doing the work. I say again I am not intending to do any work it’s just something that has always crossed my mind and would like your opinions.

need to be gas safe sorry to say

and you shouldnt of been working on gas lines if you arnt gas safe

still have to be competent eg course quals
Shaun you are wrong, I’ve worked in a factory all my life so the gas safe regs do not apply as they do to people working in people’s homes and businesses. That is why I raised the question to see If anyone knew the answer. If people with my experience are not allowed to work on gas at home that’s fine but be aware factory regulations are totally different to domestic. Yes we are competent and I have worked on lines that would have made a bloody massive crater if we didn’t know what we were doing.

i didnt say you needed to be gas safe in factories i said you needed to be qualified, so what happens if something went wrong the insurances would need to see your qualifications

You must hold some qualifications though?
Do you install, test, purge the pipework to the same standards as else where?

i didnt say you needed to be gas safe in factories i said you needed to be qualified, so what happens if something went wrong the insurances would need to see your qualifications
As engineers we have served a recognised apprenticeship which gives us the right to work on all the equipment in the factory we have been trained on. Our factories would not allow us to work on equipment we were not competent to work on. Not only would we be held responsible for something that went wrong but the factory would also be held responsible also. I understand what you say about regs as these are for everyone’s safety but was just wondering if anyone knew the answer for sure.

As engineers we have served a recognised apprenticeship which gives us the right to work on all the equipment in the factory we have been trained on. Our factories would not allow us to work on equipment we were not competent to work on. Not only would we be held responsible for something that went wrong but the factory would also be held responsible also. I understand what you say about regs as these are for everyone’s safety but was just wondering if anyone knew the answer for sure.

you've just answered your own question

need to be trained / qualified in that machine / line

Thankyou for your input everyone, it was nice of you to answer my question. As I was factory based I can understand about the gas safe for domestic work but as I do not intend in carrying out any work it was just a hypothetical question. Thanks

I have been a maintenance engineer for over 40 years working on steam, air, oil and gas all my working life

Hello Scoz
I presume it was process Plant/burners/ Boilers you worked on?

Hello Scoz
I presume it was process Plant/burners/ Boilers you worked on?
Yes you are right, also glass furnaces running on oil and gas. As a maintenance engineer I have had to have the knowledge to work on everything in the factory including installation and maintenance of all services and machinery. That is why I asked the hypothetical question as I could never understand how I was able to work on pipe work up to 6” but not allowed on 15mm domestic. From the experience I have had with mainly British Gas engineers they wouldn’t know what competence was if it hit them round the face. I have had so many secondary faults caused by gas engineers that I have gone to the small gas engineer as they seem more competence.

What would you say if it was the other way round. A domestic gas fitter wanting to work in the factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working on gas lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
I saw on a plumerparts posts comments that the gas engineer always used an inline filter on the gas line to the boiler due to debris. I’ve just had a new boiler fitted, is it a good idea to ask my installer back and pay for a filter to be installed or a waste of money as the gas isn’t that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock