Search the forum,

Discuss WORK LIFE BALANCE??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what sort of hours people are working as i seem to be working all the time, thinking it may be time to take on another engineer.

i leave the house at 7ish and get home about 7-8pm then do paperwork till 11-12.

Are you earning serious money doing those hours?
(I bet not.)
Did it when I was younger for 6, sometimes 7 days a week to some extent.
Wouldn’t do it now if I could turn the clock back.

I've not long gone back self employed after having a year off so I'm still not too bad but I aim to be home for 6:30 every night latest my plan is to stick to this as I worked all through my son's childhood I'm not doing it with my daughter.

Weekends are a big no no maybe a little bit of paperwork when my daughter is asleep but that's it.

Work to live not live to work.

invoicing, quotes, replying to emails etc. i dont start as soon as i get in, i have dinner/bath so start paperwork around 9. i am not very quick at it

finish at 5 then or if you have a job go well at 3 finish then

i see most take a fri off / afternoon

How do you do your invoicing quotes etc? Do you use any software?

I try to do invoicing as I go just click sync when I get home all gets emailed to everyone. Quotes I have loads of prices so tonight I did a quote for a system boiler out and combi in took about 6-7 minutes max and emails I try to do them as I go along otherwise I will forget them.

I use quickbooks for invoicing, but dont get signal a lot of the time so cant send them until i get home. Quotes seem to take me ages, especially bathroom refurbs as they are all different cant seem to find a formula for accurately quoting them??

I do get distracted doing paper work which doesn't help. But at the moment i am booked up during the days mon-fri (upto 5pmish) and still getting 2-3calls a day

I use quickbooks for invoicing, but dont get signal a lot of the time so cant send them until i get home. Quotes seem to take me ages, especially bathroom refurbs as they are all different cant seem to find a formula for accurately quoting them??

I do get distracted doing paper work which doesn't help. But at the moment i am booked up during the days mon-fri (upto 5pmish) and still getting 2-3calls a day

Never used quick books so can't comment on that.

I use gas engineer software and you can fill all your invoices out as you go then just click a button and send them all out.

How many of those quotes are you winning? If your too busy price rise time.

For bathrooms can you work out an estimate for each thing for example

Basin 2nd fix 4 hours + £50 materials
Tiling £x amount per meter
1st fix allow 1 day plus a rough materials price and so on and give them an estimate. If they are happy with your estimate then give them a proper quote if its anything like gas engineer software you could fire an estimate over in 20 minutes. Would save you working out 4 quotes when you may only need to do 1.

Thanks Millsy,

Yes i will use something like that going forward, we manage the whole project including plastering etc so will be a little more involved than example but think i could make a set price for most things then just add the additions for any problems i may see in the project.

Many Thanks

Thanks Millsy,

Yes i will use something like that going forward, we manage the whole project including plastering etc so will be a little more involved than example but think i could make a set price for most things then just add the additions for any problems i may see in the project.

Many Thanks

Get your plasterer to give you an estimate of how much per square meter same with tiler, work out price for stud work per square meter it takes quite a bit of setting up but well worth it.

I'm lucky I mainly get boiler changes and heating systems and generally price myself out of bathroom suites but people down here seem to want them done for £200 labour.

i see most take a fri off / afternoon

Which must be why I always seem to get a bunch of voicemails Fri afternoon. Which I'm rarely very interested in getting back to. I always presumed it was people having a "Right I've finished work for the week now I have time to get this plumbing problem looked at" mentality. It might also be that nobody is answering their phone.

I only really work from 6.30/7.00 ish in the morning until 3.00ish in the afternoon.

The rest of my time is spent with the family, I have 2 young kids so would rather spend time with then than working all of the time.

I sometimes think if I worked more I could be better off with money, but it's not worth it as then I won't be spending that time with them.

8-10 hour days still for me do everything thing myself tried employing someone but they end up wanting more than I make a day ? I cant see how you can earn enough working short days my customers would soon say something if I was only on site for 4 - 6 hours and charging £200 to £250 a day , breakdowns and servicing only makes up a small proportion of my workload you have more control over these jobs rather than being on full installs and bathrooms upgrades, you can try and hide the day rate in your quote but can easily get caught out, but it's good to see that the younger generation have a good life work balance definitely healthier and may just save your relationship , most of my colleagues are on second or even third marriages take it from a old git I am on me second . All the best kop

FM Dave 2 is bad enough mate I'd be alot better off I know that but I got a good one now so cant complain mate .

So you can’t take one back / return for a refund :D ?

Reply to WORK LIFE BALANCE??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock