Search the forum,

Discuss Work for British Gas offer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puddle

Had a call from British Gas offering me a days work
Their blokes are going on strike for the day next month apparently and are looking for cover
Offered to pay £250 to do induction course and £250 for the day
Obviously do not know what I think of British gas
Maybe you could get extra bonus's for boiler and power flush sales :p
Seriously may be good opportunity for those who wish to get in with British gas contracting in the future

we used to sub to bg/i also served my time there,on the subbing side of things the prices were bad that was 2 years ago

Had a call from British Gas offering me a days work
Their blokes are going on strike for the day next month apparently and are looking for cover
Offered to pay £250 to do induction course and £250 for the day
Obviously do not know what I think of British gas
Maybe you could get extra bonus's for boiler and power flush sales :p
Seriously may be good opportunity for those who wish to get in with British gas contracting in the future

seems ok for a days money

i had that call today too...gonna goto the induction to see what its about...the bloke said to me it was for a few months. i'll soon find out!! work is a bit quiete for at the min so ive nothing to loose.

also had email from bg as well as group3energy,being on GSR sure brings in the spam,brings the bacon in as well,sometimes but lots of yell,thompson,upmystreet ect ect spam too

Work is work and if you need money you must work BUT, if British Gas workers are going on strike (no doubt something to do with pay and conditions) i personally would not work for BG to cover them as i would think of this as 'Crossing the Picket Line'. I doubt the majority of BG workers wish to strike, but they obviously feel strong enough about it to strike.......

be interesting to know why BG engineers are striking, It cant be for more money, not the bonuses they get from the flushing scam!!!!

You need a current CRB check (as far as I know) I couldnt get a straight answer from anybody as to how I get one, as aparently you cant apply for one yourself??:confused:?.

workers feel pick on,mangement being big bully's

BBC News - British Gas staff to hold strike ballot

Big bad management :(:rolleyes:
Big companies ways!!
I used to work for the local water company and general word was that bullying was a problem.
The checks they are probably carrying out is probably a (Disclosure Scotland).I had to fill these out when I worked at airports and military bases, they are given to you, you cannot request one as far as I know!

So if any of you guys wish to take up BG's offer of work to cover the strikers will you be happy that the BG management will in-effect win the fight over the strikers that are standing up against 'alleged' bullying?

So if any of you guys wish to take up BG's offer of work to cover the strikers will you be happy that the BG management will in-effect win the fight over the strikers that are standing up against 'alleged' bullying?

Thats what it is 'alleged bullying',some would call it management

would give them all at BG the same respect they would give me :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
surely as gas safe registered engineers our main aim is saftey so surely its right for us to provide cover you can bet it will be as scant as they can make it just to cover dandgerous situations

Steve, generally in this type of dispute and the nature of the work some BG engineers will work to cover emergency situations (the unions will make sure of that). Those that do work to cover emergency situations will not be regarded as 'scabs' as it will be known that emergency situations will need to be covered.

be interesting to know why BG engineers are striking, It cant be for more money, not the bonuses they get from the flushing scam!!!!

I used to work for them until 2 years ago. They are a bunch of bullies and always pushing you to sell their products to very single customer.
Co detector £38
Powerflush £780
Magnaclea with install £250
Call out charge to non contract customer £180

Pay conditions were bad
Also facing out final sallary pension.
All the profit goes to shareholders.

1 of the main problems is that there no technical support from management and always pushing you to do more and more.
£250 a day is not bad, but you need to complete at least 6 jobs per day and thats breakdowns not servicing.

for there instalations you will get £500 punds to convert from conventional to combi

Combi to combi is about £350.

There you have some of the facts from BG.

Cant reveal the others otherwise will get some friend in BG in trouble.

I will not recommend people working for them and let them loose tjeir customer base and get them to come to small firms like the ones registered on this site.

Happy days

I used to work for them until 2 years ago. They are a bunch of bullies and always pushing you to sell their products to very single customer.
Co detector £38
Powerflush £780
Magnaclea with install £250
Call out charge to non contract customer £180

Pay conditions were bad
Also facing out final sallary pension.
All the profit goes to shareholders.

1 of the main problems is that there no technical support from management and always pushing you to do more and more.
£250 a day is not bad, but you need to complete at least 6 jobs per day and thats breakdowns not servicing.

for there instalations you will get £500 punds to convert from conventional to combi

Combi to combi is about £350.

There you have some of the facts from BG.

Cant reveal the others otherwise will get some friend in BG in trouble.

I will not recommend people working for them and let them loose tjeir customer base and get them to come to small firms like the ones registered on this site.

Happy days[/QUOTE

Bloody hell!, Ive been all day on 1 breakdown before.

got this from a friend who subs to bg....
"Hi craig, yeh!! It's all about terms & conditions mate! Bg want to stop the 4 day working week in the summer & change it to 5 days they also want all engineers to work weekends as a normal working day no 1 wants this so they have voted do go on strike I don't know when though..."

goin to to see the dude who phoned me on monday to see what the craic is...will keep you all posted.

So if you've got 6 breakdowns a day to contend with you need to be carrying a hell of a lot of spares on board don't yer???
Amazing how the BG boys only drive round in small vans eh?

So if you've got 6 breakdowns a day to contend with you need to be carrying a hell of a lot of spares on board don't yer???
One item cures all....Powerflusher!!!;):D

nah!, you dont need a big van to carry a pound of veg 'carrotts and tatties' around.:D

small van BIG POWER WASHER.

Makes you wonder how some BG engineers sleep at night, after preying on little old ladies and the vunerable, then going home to count their fat wallets!!!

Horlicks unguided, that is how they sleep at night.

BG men should wear masks,

Last edited by a moderator:
also had email from bg as well as group3energy,being on GSR sure brings in the spam,brings the bacon in as well,sometimes but lots of yell,thompson,upmystreet ect ect spam too

are these a real company ?????????????? they want you to pay them up front???

You can get a basic CRB check from Scotland try google cost around £20 last a year

the amount of work bg aquires, charges for and expects you to complete they shouldnt be penny pinching with the lads - that said, the lads dont give a **** about us smaller companies so if any of you are struggling i wouldnt advise against earning some money for your family....

as for the vans - they get pretty well stocked up and they have preference in merchants! they hold the monopoly and dont give a **** about us but there you go...

had a company call me last week,offering temp work for bg,£18 per service what a joke:eek::eek:.if opted to do boiler changes then anything up to £1000 pwk,wonder how many boilers they expected for that?getting back to a service i wonder if you were just expected to stick your fga in flue and that was that?:confused:

I had the offer from BG also, but in view of the strike now off, I guess I would of been knackered if I was relying on the work and then got dropped at the last min once the strike was cancelled. Saying that, the amount of unhappy gas engineers I meet in merchants is a joke. I should of gone to the induction and got the £250 at least :)

I had the offer from BG also, but in view of the strike now off, I guess I would of been knackered if I was relying on the work and then got dropped at the last min once the strike was cancelled. Saying that, the amount of unhappy gas engineers I meet in merchants is a joke. I should of gone to the induction and got the £250 at least :)
i used to sub to a big company,all eggs in one basket is not a good idea,taken me two years so far and still not there.:cool:would not go back to sub work ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Work for British Gas offer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, a layperson homeowner, stopping by in desperation to try and get a better understanding of my options regarding a diagnosis. I have a conventional gravity heating system (cold water tank). British Gas put in a new boiler and replaced most of the other bits...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in kitchen (Retrospective view of alternate option when it was found that promise of removing pipes from airing cupboard could not be fulfilled). Battery...
Replies
Views
The mother in law used British Gas to install her Worcester Greenstar 12 Ri boiler back in 2007!!! She also has a service contract with them at £38 a month!!!!! 3 years ago the 3 port valve was replaced. Each year it still stops working. So she calls them out and they say it's all working again...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around here ‘Shy bairnes get nowt’! My children (10 and 8 at the time) were lucky enough to be given an above ground 15ft round swimming pool from some...
Replies
Views
H
Opportunities are available in the following areas: Scotland Wales (Aberystwyth) East of England Midlands East Anglia South East South Central London We look after our customers’ worlds everyday by providing value for money, dedicated customer service, innovative energy solutions and the...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock