Discuss Worchester 32/50 utility boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingalig

Gas Engineer
Hi I just serviced a a 32/50 greenstar utility, my first as I’ve only just registered with Oftec. My question is are they usually so filthy. It wasn’t serviced for 2 years apparently but I’ve come away looking like a chimney sweep. It took me far to long but half the time was cleaning the thing and the mess it created. I luckily had or down plenty of dust sheets or I would still have been there.

Could be that the lazy sod who ‘serviced’ it previously didn’t bother getting the brushes and Henry out. Did you have to adjust it much?

Could be that the lazy sod who ‘serviced’ it previously didn’t bother getting the brushes and Henry out. Did you have to adjust it much?
A bit, the pump pressure up about 10 psi and the air from 6 to 7 on the intake. It was difficult getting the baffles out because of the amount of crud that was there. The second heat exchanger has a load of sloppy black soup in it, all in all a bit grim. I’m used to doing gas and it wasn’t a nice surprise.

The boiler should have had only some sulphur and a grey or slightly sooty dust and it is normal for slight soot on top parts of primary heat exchanger.
Could have been incorrectly set up in first place or neglected. But occasionally a nozzle can just fail.
Raising the oil pressure by 10 psi I suppose would have meant a relative increase of air by approx 8% if it had been set up correctly beforehand.
Is the condense trap and pipe allowing the condense to leave the boiler okay? They can be a watery mess if the condense water can't escape.
If you continue working with oil you will always get some boilers that are grim inside. Just hope your hard work pays off when you repeat service it later.
Oil boilers set with too little air will risk sooting.

I assume the flue terminates properly and not in a corner where it could draw fumes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worchester 32/50 utility boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back