Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Greenstar 12/18 Locking out after heating circulates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

I have a Greenstar 12/18. External Oil Combi.

3 weeks ago it cut out .

Changed photocell as they have died on it before. Still didn't work.
Single red light on burner.
So I checked the fuel. Discovered water had been sucked into the pump and the oil pump was goosed ! Sludge and muck clogging it. So I changed it.
Fired it up.. off it went. Radiators started., then started to go cold as is circulated.
Went out to boiler.. Locked out !
Tried it again., Nope ! Checked fuel., all clear. Tried a couple more times. Nothing.
Left it open for an hour and came back. Pressed reset.... Off she went !
Then same again..... heating started and then went cold.. Boiler locked out !
So I was thinking has to be an over heat of something. Listened carefully., NO SOLENOID Click !
Changed Solenoid !
But no changed,. got to temp., started heating and dead !

So have changed the ......
OIL PUMP
SOLENOID
PHOTOCELL

Any ideas what else it could be ?

Why am I trying this myself ?......................
Two engineers promised to come and fix it . They never turned up!
So trying to sort it myself.

Any help appreciated.

Dons x

You shouldn’t have been working at your boiler tbh.
The oil pump needs pressure set and the combustion needs set up, so I assume you have no oil pressure gauge and no analyser, plus the knowledge to use them.
Once you got water into oil pump that means water is in entire oil line from tank including filters, but also in oil hose, pipe leaving oil pump to nozzle and the nozzle itself.
Needs an overhaul and done by a decent oil service person.
There has to be someone local to you
It is a waste of time and materials trying to diy fix your boiler and dangerous.

Yeah thanks for that !
The last engineer who DID appear last year fitted a new pump.
ALL HE DID WAS STICK IT ON... NO TESTING !
ALL the filters are changed,. all the lines bled through until clear.
Also a new nozzle as was in before !
Like I say booked TWO professional engineers .............
THEY NEVER TURNED UP !

No excuse for playing with a combustion appliance.

Get a recommendation from a neighbour.

Oil pump needs setting up and combustion analysed.

If you are lucky it wont have sooted.

Post your location, maybe somebody on here is close enough to attend.

Yeah thanks for that !
The last engineer who DID appear last year fitted a new pump.
ALL HE DID WAS STICK IT ON... NO TESTING !
ALL the filters are changed,. all the lines bled through until clear.
Also a new nozzle as was in before !
Like I say booked TWO professional engineers ..
THEY NEVER TURNED UP !

You unfortunately have had someone who was not a real oil service person, or just didn’t care.
The nozzle usually needs replaced once water or dirt gets inside it.
How do you know all the parts are flushed?
As SimonG said, post your approximate location and there might be some of the oil guys on here who can help.
Don’t mess about with nozzles and oil pumps because they obviously are altering the oil output and you need an analyser and oil gauge plus the settings knowledge. Only costs you more oil consumption if you are lucky to have it even near correct burning

Would it help if my name was BOB or STEVE ?

I posted on here because I could see other people being offered suggestions and things to try.

Right now I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE but to try and fix this !
I'm right in the middle of lambing and have had fekk all heating and hot water for THREE WEEKS !

So as you can probably tell I'm rather Soded off at the moment.

Sooted up ?? It didn't SOOT UP when the last engineer changed the pump without pressure testing it ?

If it's cutting out after heating up and starting again after cooling down., Then it has to be a thermostat. But which one ?

Never mind.

Would it help if my name was BOB or STEVE ?

I posted on here because I could see other people being offered suggestions and things to try.

Right now I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE but to try and fix this !
I'm right in the middle of lambing and have had fekk all heating and hot water for THREE WEEKS !

So as you can probably tell I'm rather ****ed off at the moment.

Sooted up ?? It didn't SOOT UP when the last engineer changed the pump without pressure testing it ?

If it's cutting out after heating up and starting again after cooling down., Then it has to be a thermostat. But which one ?

Never mind.

If you were a bloke we would say the same. Maybe harsher. Especially on farmers, who are known to bodge fix.
If boiler isn’t going to lockout on burner, then stat might be faulty.
Don’t be a cheap skate trying to fix it yourself.

This could be a Control Box as you’ve changed solenoid, pump and cell, it could be a faulty stem as well. Like said above by these competent guys changing parts willy nilly is not the right protocol. I understand you’re in a tricky situation but this is best left to people like us who are trained and with years of experience (again I understand you’ve been let down). Unfortunately this is an intermittent fault and unless you have an engineer present at time of lockout it’s hard to say what is the exact problem. I’d be checking oil pressure at point of burner cut out, does the burner cut out before solenoid de-energises etc etc.

PS. An overheat stat tripping wont cause a burner lockout, that’s not how it works

Donna

You have limited your profile page so that no one can contact you or find your location, if we knew where you are located someone may be able to help.

Mike, I think Donna just was hoping somebody on here would suggest a solution so that she could again have a go herself.
Money saving attempts that backfire.
If she was really anxious to get an oil person to sort heat and hot water she would have given more details.

Donna might be Irish or from NI, judging by her full username, (If it is her real name) although I could be wrong.
Plenty work on oil here, if Donna wished to pay.

@Best
I am sure your right, just thought if she gave a bit more detail by PM if she did not want to post here someone could visit and sort it out for her.

Not worth the risk.
She seems miffed at oil service engineers because one of them didn’t properly install an oil pump and 2 others didn’t turn up.
So an engineer coming out might have an uphill struggle to win her confidence. :confused:

Reply to Worcester Greenstar 12/18 Locking out after heating circulates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not been serviced in a long time and oil filters were bunged up as was the nozzle. I decided to service it with hopes it was simple starving of fuel from...
Replies
Views
Hi My oil boiler keeps locking out after running for 30/40 minutes! I then try to reset it but it won’t fire back up! I have to leave it for several hours before it will fire back up! Only to lock out again after 30/40 minutes! The boiler has had a new nozzle, coil and pump in the last 2...
Replies
Views
Have a problem with an oil fired AGA conversion Has been no problem for 5 years, now goes out 12 to 36 hours after lighting, have checked fire valve, and have installed seperate line from tank to feed AGA went for 3 weeks one time, then went out due high winds. Has now started same pattern Help...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock