Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester danesmoor HE SOOTING UP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS?
worcester came out in warrenty,replaced the nozzle after it set the co alarm off? its a RS boiler so thats confusing i fitted it so know theres no flue issue,worcester blamed the fact that i used 2x 90 bends on the overflow,but condensate has not or ever has backed up WTF?sounds like Worcester trying to cop out, the customer has researched this a little and found rayburns local to him are having the same issue and the owners are saying its the low sulphur content in the oil thoughts on this chaps as its just sooted up again and the nozzle has failed

What were the flue gas readings and smoke test paper showing, did they check for water in the oil?

Any reason to believe the condensate is backing up?

Did you test the flow through the trap?

If the above is ruled out my first thoughts are:

Was the the correct nozzle used?

Correct blast tube?

Possible mix of diesel and Kerosene.

Any reason to believe the condensate is backing up?

Did you test the flow through the trap?

If the above is ruled out my first thoughts are:

Was the the correct nozzle used?

Correct blast tube?

Possible mix of diesel and Kerosene.
hi pete in answer to your questions no the condensate has never backed up,tosser from WB said it should not have 2 bends which as we know is bull,flow trough the trap is fine problem only occurred after 5 months from install,not sure on blast tube but he has been buying oil from quite a large reputable source i believe,i am going to go and cut the bends out but i know this is not the cause of the problem

If that was the problem which it obviously wasnt, why did he leave it like it as it would only happen again. When you installed it who commissioned it,

If that was the problem which it obviously wasnt, why did he leave it like it as it would only happen again. When you installed it who commissioned it,
a local oftec engineer

a vapourising rayburn may soot up due to the way vapourising burners work and the fact low sulphur fuels can cause carbonisation of the burner which isnt the same as sooting up on a pj burner. Only thought I have is that you may have set up the burner using an fga for correct co2 levels but do you also use a smoke tester for sooting check as even a burner running at the correct co2 can still produce sooting at times and the air input needs adjusting to run better. Only a thought being that u used a oftec lad to commission.

Agreed if the condensate had been the problem it would have shown up earlier, that said you are following the correct path they can't point the finger at you when you have complied with there findings.

I have seen where oil companies will give a splash of diesel (up to 10%) with kerosene, a myth that appears to have continued from the days when kerosene entered the market, the reason being kerosene does not any lubricant properties.

Another thing to watch for is the diesel will sink to the bottom of the tank leaving the kerosene on top so your customer could be burning 100% diesel on kerosene settings (the only settings for condensing boilers).

I have also come across solid instead of hollow nozzles being used, they produce the sooting up because the flame hits the back of the boiler instead of having a wide spread (similar to vitiation) in a gas boiler.

As you are going back ask the OFTEC Gent to meet you on site, fit a new nozzle double check it meets M.I. run the boiler, smoke test and use the analyser make sure you have a good filter installed.

If there is diesel in the tank the analyser will go off the scale, problem is if you increase the air to bring it within safe (not correct) parameters there is a very good chance of warping the baffles if the customer decides to burn off the remaining fuel in his tank.

C.Y.A. would be my policy in a similar situation.

Went to check one just after Christmas for a mate who was having same problem with sooting, couldn't find anything wrong . cleaned through replaced nozzle checked combustion, flue, etc. sooted again.

called wb out on warranty they came out and cleaned through and replaced nozzle, had sooted again that evening they came back and replaced burner complete its been ok since, though not heard any reason as to what problem was though.

If the condensate was blocked, youd see it in the secondary heat exchanger, you'd have a tide mark or more likely, when getting the thing apart (rather you than me) - water will pour out. Might be better to use a flexible condensate hose anyway, as suggested above, just to avert the pointy finger.

How badly was it sooted - full or just the burner?
Is it a low level flue or conventional?

not sure wat burner is on there but ive saw a worcester boiler soot up before with the fan being blocked by a mouses nest and the dead mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester danesmoor HE SOOTING UP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock