Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Worcester combi boiler cutting out on hot in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Piperdave22

Piperdave22 GSR

Replaced a bath tap with shower attachment and Fitted a Aqualisa Midas thermostatic bath /shower mixer . During the shower sometimes the water goes cold for a few seconds and goes warm again and customer said the boiler is cutting out then coming back on when it does this .
    Almost like it’s reaching temp ,cutting out then firing back up

What could be causing this and what can I do to remedy it ? It’s a Worcester combi

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The symptoms are typical of a blocked plate heat exchanger. Was the hot water running fine before you changed the tap?

If the new shower has a greater flow rate than the previous, it may just be highlighting an existing fault

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Piperdave22

Piperdave22 GSR

Yeah all the others taps seem to be running at a decent pressure .
    They were having a similar problem before where they couldn’t get the right mix on the shower and it would drop out the same but all other taps seem ok .

4. Craig Watson

Id look at stripping the plate out, and giving it a good clean and see if it improves.

5. Piperdave22

Piperdave22 GSR

I got him to run the basin taps today to make sure it was everywhere doing it and whilst on the phone he said it was running then went cold and got hot again so tells me it’s definately a boiler fault
    Only weird thing is he said if the heating is on the doesn’t last as long before getting cold
    But if it isn’t on it lasts a bit longer
    Have said it’s mostly likely to be a blocked heatplate but could be dhw thermistor or a divertor issue .
    Boiler is only 18months old though so I’m hedging my bets towards a scaled up heat plate atm

Any thoughts ??

6. Craig Watson

If boilers only 18 months old then get Worcester out to it.