Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Worcester Bosch Greenstar - No CH in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Lewis Duff

Lewis Duff New Member

Hi Guys,

Wondering if you could offer some advice, we have just bought our first house and we are having a nightmare with the CH. I will be having the full system replaced in the next 12 months (when we have the £'s), but for now, I am hoping to keep the old system going. We have a Worcester Greenstar Ri which has worked fine for the past week then the other day the CP53 circulating pump started making a whirring noise and ( I am assuming this is linked) the heating stopped working. The boiler fires upon demand and the green flame-shaped light comes on, then after a couple of minutes it turns off again, the thermostat is on full and the timer on constant. I am a bricklayer by trade so know very little about the magic of CH, but we are a bit hard up at the moment so hoping its something I can sort out for now. I have attached a photo of the pump and boiler. I am wondering if this could be a case of replacing the pump? If so, which pump would you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

thumbnail_20180908_163146.jpg

thumbnail_20180908_170310.jpg

2. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

Sounds like your pump is goosed and will need replacing. Touch the pipe from the boiler to the pump is it warming up ? And the one after the pump to the port valve is that also warming up ?

As far as you know has the system been drained down could be air in the system too.

3. Lewis Duff

Lewis Duff New Member

Hi AMGas Services, thanks for the reply. The pipe connected to both the top of the pump and the bottom are red hot. Dont know if it has been drained down recently, it was working a few days ago. Seen online that to let any air out you undo the black bolt shaped plastic cap and let some water out? Is this correct? Would replacing the pump be a straight swap out? Thanks

4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yep I am with amg on this ,but before you try a new pump , carefully hold it , can you feel any slight vibration, if not just see if its getting power ( you may need a friendly sparkie) before you try a new one .

5. Lewis Duff

Lewis Duff New Member

It is vibrating so assuming I need a new one? Is it as simple as isolating electric and water, removing the pump and replacing with another CP53? thanks for the help.

6. townfanjon

If you are lucky both valves should turn off , you wont be able to buy the exact pump , the nobs in Brussels decided to change our heating pumps back in 2015 . A good swap would be the standard grunfoss , screwfix sell them .

7. Lewis Duff

Lewis Duff New Member

8. townfanjon

cheaper ones available but they are ok , fingers crossed that the valves work lol

9. Lewis Duff

Lewis Duff New Member

might give this a go,
    151711 Central Heating Boiler Hot Water Circulation Circulating Pump
    only needs to last 12 months or so and its only £29 on Amazon. Will just get the buckets at the ready! Thanks for the help.

10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

i wouldnt tbh

12. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

If you are going to change the pump make sure it’s aligned ie flow direction. Otherwise it won’t work.

The easiest way is to make sure the arrows match up ie if the arrow is facing up after changing the pump the new pump arrow must also face up.

13. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

The arrow I am referring too.

034C4117-749F-4215-A9CD-A378E09ACF8F.jpeg

14. DGT plumbing

DGT plumbing GSR

If you have an old fashioned compass to hand place it on the front of the pump when it's on and if it's working the needle on the compass will spin round with the magnetic field produced by the rotation of the electric motor.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lewis Duff

Lewis Duff New Member

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. Will be collecting the grundfos one from Screwfix tomorrow and will have a go at it. Hopefully, it is the pump! Thanks again