Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri Frost protection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri regular boiler installed within my garage.

There is also a Honeywell T4360 Frost Thermostat installed just above and to the left of the boiler.

The problem I was having was that the Frost Thermostat was kicking in in cold weather and firing up the boiler for very long periods of time which in turn was heating up the house.

After reading up on the internet, I did find out that if a frost stat is used that a pipestat should be used in conjunction to turn the boiler off once the pipework temperature is high enough to prevent the pipes from freezing, which one is not currently fitted.

From reading my boilers user manual it states that there is already an inbuilt frost protection function within the boiler. So for a quick fix we temporarily disconnected the power from the frost stat, to prevent over heating as it was becoming a major problem.

So wondered if anyone could confirm the following queries.

Does my boiler actually need an additional frost stat and pipe stat?
As the boiler has its own frost protection function, or should it have both frost/pipe stat and the boilers inbuilt protection active?

If the frost stat is still wired into the boiler, but does not have power going to the frost stat itself, will this prevent the boilers inbuilt frost prevention function from activating?

As you can see from the snippet from my boilers user manual this is how the inbuilt frost protection function works:

If the temperature within the boiler falls below 8°C the pump will run to circulate water and prevent the system freezing.

If the temperature does not rise to 9°C within 30 minutes of the pump operating, the boiler will fire up to provide heat to bring the temperature up.

If the temperature within the boiler falls below 5°C the boiler will fire, bringing the boiler temperature up to 12°C to avoid the possibility of the system freezing.

This process will be repeated until such time that the boiler temperature does not drop below 5°C.

Last night the outside temperature dropped to -1.6C (about 4.0C in the garage) but I did not hear the central heating pump come on, so I am not sure if the boilers inbuilt frost protection is working or not.

FYI. the heating in the house was off over night, it turned off at 23:00. So there was no heating demand throughout the night.

So I would have expected that the frost function would have activated as the temperature in the garage was less than 9.0C.

Would the temperature within the boiler have stayed above 9.0C all night if the heating was turned off at 23:00? I was up until 2:30 in the morning (in bed), and never heard the pump come on. Only until 5:00am when the timer was set to turn the Central Heating back on.

Also, when the above mentions that 'the pump will run to circulate water' would this be an 'internal pump' within the boiler, or the pump which is located within my airing-cupboard? Just so I know if I should be listening for the one in the airing-cupboard or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

As your boiler has no integral pump, it needs an external frost and pipe thermostat. These are wired in series. Both then need to be activated to bring th boiler on.
Your boiler does have a frost thermostat, but it looks like the pump is not wired back to the boiler.

Thanks for your reply and info.

I will get a pipe stat fitted and reconnect the frost stat as soon as
I can. As this won't be for a couple of days, could you advise
on my previous point '2', below.

If the 'frost stat' is still wired into the boiler, but does not have power going to the 'frost stat' itself, will this prevent the boilers inbuilt frost prevention function from activating?

As I would like to make sure the boiler is still protected
in this cold spell of weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri Frost protection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I would like some guidance regarding the Worcester CDi 29 Classic boiler. According to the manual it has a holiday mode and frost protection mode for when away for a period of time such as a holiday, both of which disables the central heating system and both require it to be set manually. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My boiler was kind of new & installed last year July, I know there's build-in frost protection. Also, there's an old external frost protection (attached photo) that the engineer did not disconnect it when installed the new boiler. I wonder if I need to disconnect/get rid of the old...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock