Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Bosch 30i for a 4 bed house? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

R

rajan2004

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of replacing my ageing potterton conventional boiler with a combi.

We've had a couple of quotes but there's one company in particular who we're thinking of hiring to do the job.

We have a 4 bedroom house with a single bathroom and 11 radiators. This company have suggested we don't need anything more than a Worcester Bosch 30i because they've measured our water pressure and it's only 10-11 litres per minute.

In the near future, we may build an ensuite to our loft room and extend our living room which could result in an additional shower (probably electric) and 3 additional radiators to take our total to 14. Despite all of this, the plumber says a 30i is more than enough because any boiler we buy will be limited by the power (or lack of) of our water pressure.

I called up both Boxt and Hometree who over the phone said there's no way that a 30i was enough for my needs and that I should go for at least a 34Cdi classic.

Now I'm completely confused. It's a big outlay for me and I don't want to have to change my boiler again in 5 years time - so should I trust the plumber who has great checkatrade ratings and has actually measured my water pressure or should I play it safe and go for something like a 34 Cdi classic?

combis are sized on there hot water need and will only do one outlet at a time

30i will be man enough for your system atm

if your going more than one bathroom or want more than one outlet open at the same time then at a min storage combi eg viessmann 111 or a better solution unvented and heat only boiler but you would want around 15lpm min for those so depends where they took there reading from you might want to allow for a mains upgrade if it will increase it (water board will be able to tell you this)

Is a mains upgrade easy to do? How much does it cost and who would do it? Is it the water board's responsibility?

depends where your main is run, its one of those things you dont do half measures on

do you know what your main is now lead plastic copper ?

If the en-suite were an electric as mentioned you might get away with it but as Shaun says a mains upgrade with a cylinder and suitable boiler would give you optimum performance and options going forward.

I would not fit a combi of that size in a 4 bedroom house , as you have been quoted a 34cdi classic is a better choice but with a restricted flow rate it will still only do one outlet at a time, you have a conventional system at the moment what are your reasons for switching to a combi ? My suggestion download the worcester bosch product information and make your own decision . Kop

Screenshot_20181130-055330.png

Screenshot_20181130-055250.png

Screenshot_20181130-055206.png

Just like KOP advised upgrade you current system and forget about a combi

Just like KOP advised upgrade you current system and forget about a combi

The problem is we currently have a conventional cylinder based system and the hot water runs out once two people have showered!

Wouldn’t we have the same problem with a Megaflo and isn’t it vastly expensive? Would a non Combi actually help to improve our flow rate or is the main benefit that you can run two showers at the same time? If it’s the latter, we would probably have an electric as our second shower

An unvented cylinder would have vastly improved recovery rate and would allow you great flow rate at multiple outlets. Incoming mains dependent of course. It is more expensive but you’d be far happier with the result

There is no benefit of a combi with the size of your property especially if your looking at running 2 showers at once. Maybe a storage combi made be sufficient but you already have system that could be upgraded (probably less work) to achieve much better results and performance that no combi could match

There is no benefit of a combi with the size of your property especially if your looking at running 2 showers at once. Maybe a storage combi made be sufficient but you already have system that could be upgraded (probably less work) to achieve much better results and performance that no combi could match
What would be an example of a storage Combi? And would we still have the running out of hot water after two showers problem?

Viessmann 111 or Viessmann 222

Not sure on the Worcester. The Veissmann is an option but it would not be my choice.

A combi or storage combi would alleviate your current problem with running out of hot water when consecutive showers are taken. The problem arises when or if you add another HW outlet in which case you'd need a mains upgrade to fully utilise a storage combi.

Everyone has their own preference

Reply to Worcester Bosch 30i for a 4 bed house? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock