Discuss Worcester boiler / heating noises on shutdown in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all,

We've got a Worcester 24ri boiler - installed around 3 years ago. When heating the house up from cold / to a higher temperature (i.e. it's firing for longer) = no problem.
However, say the house is at 21 degrees and it just drops below that, so the heating is fired up again - it doesn't take long to get back to temperature, hence the boiler is not on for long.
When it shuts down after this short cycle, we get a large 'groaning' noise from the boiler and then fairly loud 'chugging' noises.

Any thoughts? A plumber has looked at it, but couldn't really give much advice on how to resolve.
It is very frustrating as it can be heard throughout the house and can wake us up if the heating clicks on during a particularly cold night.

Here's a video of the noise - it's particularly noisy at 12seconds, 30 seconds and 45 seconds in the video.

20190117_153725 - Streamable

Help/thoughts appreciated!
Thanks
Neil

Would say that was overheating eg no flow through the boiler

At the end of demand all power is being turned off to the boiler and it's overheating, this boiler should have permanent live, switched live from external controls and pump should be wired to boiler to over run at end of demand, blue light on boiler should never go off, should be solid blue or flash when in fault condition but never off. Hope that helps, you will need gas safe engineer to remove casing and rewire as per MI.

thank you so much - I have contacted the company who installed it.
I think when installed, they probably just used the old wiring for the old boiler, which presumably didn't require a permanent live feed. Hence this issue - pleased that we may have finally found the source of the issue)

Reply to Worcester boiler / heating noises on shutdown in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back