Search the forum,

Discuss worcester 24 ri or system 24i in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

richardd

Hi All

I am replacing an oil fired boiler ( sealed system with meagaflow mains feed cylinder, external pump external expansion vessel , external prv with gauge ) with a gas boiler one of the above.

the 24ri is recommended for gravity feed tank systems and a system boiler is recommended for sealed mains systems.

But i beleive i can use a 24 ri on this sealed system as there is already a pump expansion vessel, prv with gauge on the existing pipework.

Is there any other reason why i cant use the 24ri.

The company I'm working for pressurise the ri boilers on a regular basis never seen a problem.

Hi All

I am replacing an oil fired boiler ( sealed system with meagaflow mains feed cylinder, external pump external expansion vessel , external prv with gauge ) with a gas boiler one of the above.

the 24ri is recommended for gravity feed tank systems and a system boiler is recommended for sealed mains systems.

But i beleive i can use a 24 ri on this sealed system as there is already a pump expansion vessel, prv with gauge on the existing pipework.

Is there any other reason why i cant use the 24ri.

No problem with a sealed system with the Ri range.

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is off subject but im new to this site. a customer has come to me asking to change from a open vent heating system to a sealed system running a worcester greenstar 24ri, they have got a fortic f3 vented hot water cylinder in loft space, the system is very old! my question is that has anyone ever installed an f3 with a sealed primary circuit? it says on label on cylinder that the coils can work up to a max of 3.5 bar.. the PRV will be set to 3bar anyway so i dont think it should be a problem, i cant find any literature on it on the web. any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Andy

sorry forgot to say that my main concern is that the system is old and unsure if the pipework and coils would withstand the higher pressure.

Be prepared for headaches with the pipework. Anything in screed or concrete? If so avoid pressurising if at all possible.

as for the cylinder i would point out you cant guarantee not to have leaks.

Only thing with RIs is where you put themon a sealed system, i.e. at the highest point in the house is not ideal as there is no internal air vent other than a manual heat exchanger vent, thus if the pressure drops or there’s a leak there is a risk of the boiler heatexchanger being damaged, although there is an overheat protection built inafter repeated resetting i have seen damage first hand. If you do have to placeone at high point then routing the pipes abovethe top of the boiler is a better idea as then you can have external auto airvents on the high point.They work fine as a rule but like others have warned, there is a risk of leaksand weeps occurring especially at any old compression joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys, the boiler is in the utility room and pipes run up to attic space with x2 auto air vents on them, there is no pipework in concrete or screed thank goodness! and can get access to pipework so that should not be a problem, as King said, will just need to say that cannot guarantee to have no leaks!

Thanks again

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to worcester 24 ri or system 24i in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock