Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Woodburner with gravity circuit in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. ***Tom11***

***Tom11*** New Member

I have been contacted by a customer to change their hot water cylinder.
    The existing setup is - small open vent copper cylinder, 28mm primaries from woodburner to cylinder. 22mm cold feed and vent pipe. Not pumped, gravity circulation. No heating.
    Can i use a normal (bigger) cylinder and repipe as is ?
    Its just the quantity of water that needs to be upgraded hence the bigger size requirement.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

is there no heat sink fitted

3. ***Tom11***

***Tom11*** New Member

Not as far as im aware, just connected to cylinder

4. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I would check the boiler output and MIs of woodburner.
    Just installing a larger volume hot cylinder will not allow for required heat loss.
    I would want rad(s) added.
    Also make sure a new cylinder has a coil suitable for gravity circuits. (Some coils are not aligned inside the cylinder for gravity.
    The f&e tank is supposed to be all metal.

5. ***Tom11***

***Tom11*** New Member

Thanks for the info. I dont know the output of the existing woodburner, its really old and was there when he moved in 2 yrs ago.

6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Compare the stove size and the water jacket (boiler) size to other stoves to work out approximate output as a guide and view their MIs.
    Really the excess heat has to go somewhere.
    A cylinder that is uninsulated would help lose heat but not ideal