Search the forum,

Discuss Wood bits for drilling joists? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Whats best for drilling joists?
Realised today all my bits are blunt, old and useless. Need to upgrade

Good spades are dewalt , punk , bosch self cut speed (blue ones ) depends who's sort of drill you use but the bosch I mentioned pull them selfs like a auger dose ,

usually a combi drill or sds with chuck adaptor
Was looking at the dewalt and bosch sets

usually a combi drill or sds with chuck adaptor
Was looking at the dewalt and bosch sets

I use stubby wood beavers

For small holes - up to 25 or 32mm - generally use spade bits.

Good thing is that they can be sharpened very easily on a bench grinder.

Larger holes use holesaws - problem is they are not worth the effort to sharpen.

They're all basically consumables and have to be included in the cost of doing the work.

I seem to have boxes of old spade bits in the garage, just buzz a ******* file over the end before an install job, works a treat. The last time I bought nice wood bits, I ended up finding every single hidden nail in every joist!

Really? b a s t a r d file is the actual name of the file! I take it the forum software automatically detects swears then? Just as well I don't fix hot water in S****horpe!

When I was a giggling 16 year old at college the lecturer got 4 files and and put them on the table and pointed at them in turn..."that is a ******* file, that's a rough *******, thats a smooth ******* and that is a ******* rasp"

I giggled to much I was asked to leave the workshop.

When I was a giggling 16 year old at college the lecturer got 4 files and and put them on the table and pointed at them in turn..."that is a ******* file, that's a rough *******, thats a smooth ******* and that is a ******* rasp"

I giggled to much I was asked to leave the workshop.

Last edited:
I like the look of those bits.
Mine are somewhat longer.
But i do use an angle drill which is brilliant

I always used flats, then bought some Armeg auger bits and never looked back
Far superior to standard flat bits IMHO and easier to use as they pull themselves through
Just found a set of Irwin augers for £30 in a small local indie builders merchant
there are 10/12 bits in the set, comes with a zip up case

The wood beaver and Irwin auger bits are really good. But got introduced to the new Hilti flat speed wood bits a couple of weeks ago.
They drill as fast as the auger bits, but don't clog up! Drill on fast speed , with no effort . They have a screw thread on the tip, so they are a bit like the child of spade and auger bit:cool:.
Will pop a link on .

Here thy are.
IMG_0003.JPG

Yes Shaun.
£45 for a set,but the fastest bits I've ever used! You don't need to put any pressure on the drill. Mind you, like all the wood bits, touch a nail and they are history.

Yes Shaun.
£45 for a set,but the fastest bits I've ever used! You don't need to put any pressure on the drill. Mind you, like all the wood bits, touch a nail and they are history.

might have to get a set and spade bits are easier to repair after a nail strike :)

I like the dewalt spade bits, they seem quite tough and the ends don't seem to snap as easy as they do on some of the others I've used.

I picked up a set of these from toolstation, really impressed for the money
53771.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wood bits for drilling joists? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock