Search the forum,

Discuss Why different forces are needed for 110 mm soil pipe fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Do you know why some 110 mm soil pipe fittings are easy to push into the soil pipe, whilst other fittings are much, much harder to get in, given that they all need to do the same job of making a gas tight and water tight seal?

Recently I found that I could easily push into the soil pipe the end fins of a McAlpine WC-F21R (that’s the flexible connector with the metal Jubilee clip fastening on the opposite end which goes over the toilet spigot). But I could not, as the old man that I am, push the finned end of a McAlpine MAC-EXTA into the soil pipe. The same with a Multikwik MKEA extension pipe, I could not get that into a soil pipe either with my elderly fingers.

Which left me wondering, and hence my question, if they are all making a gas and watertight seal, why is one made much easier than the others? If the fitting that is made easy to get into the soil pipe works all right, why can’t they all be made similarly easy?

This question intrigues me, and if you know the answer I should be very pleased if you would kindly share that answer with me.

Many thanks,
Anode.

Underground brown pipe is the worst, Jesus I’ve almost popped my belly button getting some of that stuff apart.

Ground workers must have some muscles.

There is now a tool you can buy for it but it’s about 200 quid so it must be a common complaint . Nerrad tools I believe

Never had much of an issue, bit of silicon spray or fairy liquid (I am sure someone will disapprove of fairy liquid) and line it all up good. grippy gloves work a treat, I use these Skytec, - grip good, last well and the neoprene resist fluids like white spirit etc which kills the latex type grippy gloves.

20190323_100626.jpg

Thank you to all those who read my serious query.

I would have liked to do as suggested and ask the manufacturer (McAlpine), but their web page says “We cannot accept installation queries from the general public. Please contact a plumbing professional”, hence my posting here.

For an old person like me it is a serious matter that I can use only some fittings but not all, (even using gloves-a good suggestion). I just wondered if you people in the trade knew anything relevant about why this difference in the insertion force needed.

As has been stated, what matters is whether or not you get a good seal. But I don’t know why some fittings can apparently be designed to work well with a much lower insertion force. If some, why not all, and make life easier? I did wonder if the harder rigidity of some fittings was needed so that they could if needed be displaced by a few degrees when in use, but I don’t know.

My thanks to all who replied.

Reply to Why different forces are needed for 110 mm soil pipe fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock