1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Why aren’t plumbers plumbers any more? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Active Member

when and why did plumbers who work on heating systems decide they didn’t want to be called plumbers?

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Maybe as a way to seperate gas registered plumbers from non gas registered plumbers? You do find some gas engineers are just that, great at boiler and heating installs but don't have a clue when it comes to the rest of the plumbing in the house.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OffshoreGas

Maybe so Craig,

That’s kind of my experience with competence, heating or gas engineer immediately makes me think career change cowboy. To me the craft is in pipework and installation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

That is a shame!
    I don't know whether to feel offence or sadness at your comment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I worked solely on heating systems the company I worked for had me down as a heating engineer. I did a 4 year apprenticeship in plumbing as well. I have never changed career but the company that I worked for only covered heating so that is why I was called a heating engineer.

I thought you were one of those that wanted to be a career change cowboys?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

From our point of view - we have been established a very long time and have always used the title Plumbing and Heating Engineers - We are more than competent and experienced in the design, specification, installation and commissioning of all types of Heating and Hot water systems in all manner and all sizes of building, amongst a myriad of other related services.

There may be unworthy users of the title but we originals should never be confused with them under any circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

Yes, because designing and calculating pipework for a bog basin bath and kitchen sink is rocket science compared to calculating heating, gas pipework... oh and pump sizing.

o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

You'd be surprised, and your response is a typical gas engineer response to domestic plumbing.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

:D

10. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

You is funny Craig

11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I always worked on both plumbing and heating, but bulk of my work was full heating installs or heating system related work.
    Reason why I always called myself a Heating Engineer is because I wasn’t going to allow cowboys to class themselves as better than me.

When a customer asks me am I heating guy/engineer, or just a plumber, I am hardly going to undersell myself.

Why should we use a lowly job description title like a plumber?
    (Some people still think of a plumber as one of the least educated professions.)

12. OffshoreGas

By discipline I've served and instrumentation apprenticeship, whilst working as an instrument technician I obtained a degree in electrical and control engineering going on to become a instrument/controls engineer. After 10 years designing, installing and commissioning systems in oil/gas/chemical/power industries I now largely work as a consultant/troubleshooter.

I'm in the process of setting up a pluming/heating company as the tales of woe from friends and family lead me to believe there is a big skills shortage locally. I guess you could call it being a career change cowboy but I'd happily go head to head with any gas safe "heating engineer" fixing/designing domestic heating systems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. OffshoreGas

Sizing pipes based on look up tables/pumps on discharge curves is hardly rocket surgery.

Having trained people on behalf of various companies I'd be fairly confident I could teach a lay person of average intelligence to fault find the electrical/control side of a domestic heating system in one to two days.

On the other hand you could probably train a person to bend pipe and solder in a similar time but it would take them months if not years of practice to be ale to do it to a reasonable standard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I’m sure you could, but whilst they’re in comfortable surroundings sucking on the teachers teet and everything is fresh.. the world is there oyster. Now try doing the same after a hard days slog, in a smoke filled house and sixty four kids running about and screaming, whilst mum n dad are arguing.

And with no data to determine pin out’s on controls

15. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

And that’s not quite true neither, you’ve got to be able to work out the first answer to be able the twelfth. It’s not a five minute task, working out a pump size.

And that was a tongue in cheek reply, but I’m sure you get what I mean.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  16. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If your that good and that competent why are you here asking questions surely you should be building your new bus I was that will beat british gas and Pimlico.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1