Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Who makes the quietest pumps in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Gary80gas

Gary80gas GSR

I want a pump to give at least 15 litres and no more than 2.5bar to pump from a cold water tank. Its next to several bedrooms and the customer is really worried about the noise. Im told 50db is quiet but some spec don't even give noise ratings.. Please any advice.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

For what in the bathrooms?

3. SalamanderPumps

SalamanderPumps New Member

Salamander Pumps have been independently tested and proven to be some of the quietest pumps on the market. Our RP55SU is a single 1.5 bar pump, which with a noise rating of 49.5dBA is very quiet!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gary80gas

Gary80gas GSR

Has anyone tried building a soundproof box over a shower pump with any success.

5. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Firstly, the noise referred to is radiated noise. That's not so bad, but the real difficult sod is transmitted noise.

As counter intuitive as it may 'sound' (geddit!), the first thing you do to minimise pump noise is sit it on a VERY dense surface. The best thing is an old school paving slab as BIG as possible. The denser, the thicker the heavier the better. Vibration does not travel through dense material like that.

If you can, then stand it (DO NOT TRY TO SCREW IT) on a sheet approx 18 x 12" of noise absorbent rubber. The feet on all pumps are pretty rubbish.

Then you have to try to minimise the noise transmitted through vibration to the pipework. The best thing Ive found are silicone hoses. There are various places (Google it) that will make them up for you. The most important thing is to ensure they are not stretched or compressed when fitted and the pump running.

Lastly, you deal with the radiated noise. You can make a box. However, you must make it from sound absorbent material (at least 50mm thick) AND you must leave slots. The slots must be long and thin so that the sound is 'captured' as it leaves.

Doing all this will give you the quietest pump possible but it will NOT be silent without spending an absolute fortune. What I've described here can be done for about £100 - which is a lot. However you get a whisperer...

Have fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Hi Dave, sorry bud but I`m gonna disagree about boxing over an electric air cooled motor.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. YorkshireDave

Understand completely RPM & agree.

What I didn't specify, as I don't feel the customer will want to stump up the cash (could be wrong), is that the slots have to be sized for the air flow required. That needs to gotten from the manu.

I've done loads over the years and never once had a prob, but it is VITAL to do it properly & professionally as you say. Good point well made old bean ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rpm

Suppose 2 or 3 computer cooling fans built in and wired in might be ok.

9. YorkshireDave

Would let lots of noise out. Trick is passive venting. Slots at bottom & top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Dab esybox and bolt it to a brick wall.
    Inverter motor and very quiet.
    Will give 60 lpm @3bar

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CHRISX

CHRISX Active Member

Hello YorkshireDave,

I agree with You about using a paving slab and a rubber `mat` under the Pump and I have been doing that on most Domestic Water Pumps that I have installed for about the last 30 years.

As You described the density of the paving slab and the rubber mat helps to prevent Pump noise caused by vibration from being transferred into the surrounding building fabric.

However I would not recommend directly `boxing in` the Pump because of the motor having to be `Air cooled`.

On some of my installs the Pump with a paving slab and rubber mat have been concealed by having a large removable panel put onto what was basically a `Duct` where the Pump and Plumbing pipework was hidden - but there were large Air vents fitted into those panels both adjacent to the Pump position and at the top of the `Duct` in order to allow Air in to cool the Pump motor and to dissipate the heat from the Duct area.

Regards,

Chris

12. rpm

You got a picture CHRISX?

13. CHRISX

CHRISX Active Member

Hello rpm,

I am sure that You know exactly what I and YorkshireDave mean in our descriptions about using a paving slab [or part of] and rubber sheet under a Domestic Water Pump - and what I mean by having a removable panel on a Duct with Air vents cut out to supply `cooling ventilation` for the Pump and to also vent the heat produced by the Pump out of the Duct.

I have never been someone who would take photos of my work unless it was of a particularly technical / intricate / difficult installation - certainly not of a Water Pump / Duct & Air vents.

I have / would take Photos of bad workmanship / poor design / technical issues to show to a Customer / Builder so that I could explain any problems problems alterations necessary.

It is not just `Work photos` that I have not been interested in taking - during my life I also have hardly ever had photos taken of myself [I slightly regret that now in `old age`] and the idea of taking `Selfies` many times per day does not appeal to me at all.

Mobile phones / Phone cameras and affordable Personal Computers were non existent for probably at least 60% of my working life and I have never wanted a `Smart phone` - so I am not a person who frequently wants to take Photos and send them to friends and family.

That part of `our culture` does NOT appeal to me at all.

Regards,

Chris

14. YorkshireDave

Here is what 'I' mean.

The slots must be as described, but there can be quite a few. The point of them is to be much thinner than the wall thickness so that sound energy is effectively bounced into the sound absorbent wall.

This has been std practise on thing like AHUs for donkeys years. I recall sitting 18 inches from an 2.5meter dia fan moving 30 cubic meters of air per second and NOT being able to hear the fan itself. Air noise yes, some vibration yes, but no noise... It works.

My point here is to educate and to give everyone a tiny bit m ore knowledge so, hopefully, one day they can pull it out of a hat rabbit like... Have fun.
    Sound.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. CHRISX

CHRISX Active Member

Hello again YorkshireDave,

I am not trying to irritate You or contradict anything that you wrote with my comments below - I want to get your description / the design details clear in my head regarding the Air cooling of the Pump motor and the heat from the Pump motor being able to effectively `escape` from the Pump box.

I can see that what You described would be very effective in absorbing the sound from the Pump but I am wondering whether the seemingly very narrow `slits` in the walls of the `Pump Box` would allow for the effective / correct `Air cooling` of the Pump motor and the dissipation of the heat produced by the motor even if there were many of them ?

I take it that there would have to be MANY `slits` all around each side of the `Box` and at the top ?

Would the Pump box have to be much bigger than the Pump regarding achieving enough Air flow for cooling the motor / the dissipation of the motor heat ?

From your drawings am I correct in assuming that the Pump box wall thickness would need to be at least about 50mm ?

IF that is the case what type of material would these Boxes be built from ?

IF as I am initially imagining something like `Kingspan` or `Cellotex` [?] what thickness would be used and how does the maker actually form the very narrow slits in a visually acceptable manner ?

IF it is that type of `Insulating material` it seems to me that nothing could be worse regarding the Pump motor heat dissipation even with many `slits` in all of the walls ?

As I wrote above - I am genuinely interested in this Dave:

The subject of creating a `Pump box` for various Water Pumps installed in Domestic circumstances has come up often throughout my working life and irrespective of who has given thought to it - Architects, Building Services Engineers, Pump Manufacturers Technical Departments and myself nothing has been `designed` / suggested that fulfilled both `Soundproofing` / Noise reduction and the problem of Ventilating / Air cooling the Pump motor and dissipating the Heat produced by the Pump motor.

On most of my Contracts where this has been discussed Cost would not have been an issue as the properties were in very expensive areas of London such as Belgravia, Knightsbridge, Mayfair and Chelsea and the refurbishments were costing many hundreds of thousands of pounds.

But although the Houses were very big there would have been a Size constraint for any `Pump boxes` as the Cylinder cupboards / Pipe & Pump Ducts were designed to accommodate the `Plumbing` without any wasted space / not to be oversized because of the VERY Expensive `Cost per square metre` of the properties.

Regards,

Chris