Search the forum,

Discuss Who Has Their NVQ2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
How many jobs did you have to complete to be awarded it? And how long did that take you?

Would one full basic bathroom installation be enough? (remove old appliances and replace with new basin, toilet, bath?)

Or would there be more they'd need you to do? I know the units that are covered but it's vague as to how much you'd need to do to satisfy each.

Also, say if you're working with another plumber, how does that work? Do the assessors spend the day with you and only assess the bits you personally do?

Ah, looks like it's got to be first and second fix. So would have to be a new build right? Or someone who doesn't mind you re-doing all their pipework for the f*** of it...

Last edited:
one bathroom refit, your joking aint ya eh! eh?

try about 12, with 10 rad exchanges + 4 new install.
1 copper cylinder,
2 heating pumps.
3 c/w storage tanks.
1 power-shower + pump.
2 replacement showers.
1 outside tap.
2 kitchen taps + sink install.
1 washong machine dishwasher new install.
1 lead flashings to abutment.
1 guttering job.
2 0r 3 unusuall jobs like fridges for the icing on the cake.

all your own work from start to finish with no help and you better know every nut and joint on all those jobs because you will be asked to explain,

you may need 2 to 6 assesments depending how good you are and the examiner will come to your job as you are commissioning it.

overall about a years worth of your own jobs should convince him you know what your doing ie. competant.
good luck and thanks for the laugh.

Well if that's all true, companies offering the NVQ are (predictably) leaving out a lot of stuff you have to do.
But really? Leadwork? I thought once you'd faffed your way through the assessments on the 6129 you wouldn't have to touch the stuff again.
And that seems like an awful lot of visits for the money. Unusually good value for money? Couple of grand for someone to spend a year following you round the country.

correct, try asking the nvq supplier what do i need!
dont confuse the 6129 paper based qual with full nvq2, one is therory based the other is competance based (on a real job site).
ie. i know how to fly a jet, want to take a ride?.
generally two 2hr visits on 2 big jobs ie. complete bathroom refit with rads is enough for the visit's, but may take extra visits if they are not convinced of the work you have done etc.

who are you training with where and how much, what quals included?.

by the way on-site visit is extra bunga.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have my 6129 already. I'm just daydreaming about what I'd need to do to get the NVQ. It's all academic since I can't even get work as a plumber's mate working for free.

My plumbing college was trying to have us believe you could basically fix up a mate's bathroom (or your own) and bingo, you've got your NVQ.

Ideally I would like to gain a good stretch of on-the-job experience with a plumber/company before attempting the NVQ then, since it has to be totally solo and the full range of work.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Oh, and extra money for visiting on a site? Do you mean as opposed to in a currently lived-in residential property? How come?

Last edited:
no, you have to pay the examiner to visit, not sure but prob ÂŁ150-200 per visit.

where did you take the 6129?.

there is an easy way to get nvq portfolio.

Ive got rons of work - and only have c & g level 2!!

Aint going to get the nvq either as i run my own company!

Oh well . . .

Hold on guys this is'nt all quite true , it depends , where you did your 6129 water tight ?

I did mine at the plumbing academy in Kent. so what's not true that's been said so far? got any glimmer of hope to wave about?

nvq2 requirements:- bathroom install ( 3 appliances going in, one to be directly observed ).

or

new or replacement c/h system ( 4 rads and associated pipework and controls ).

or

complete soil stack ( 3 appliances, one to be directly observed ).

commission and decommission of two of either of these on two seperate occasions.

forgot to mention that you can do decommissions on various jobs that will add up to your nvq.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, you have to pay the examiner to visit, not sure but prob ÂŁ150-200 per visit.

where did you take the 6129?.

there is an easy way to get nvq portfolio.

Spill the beans please Redsaw......

hello redsaw, i got my 6129 tech cert a while ago, been working with a plumber for a while, already done some work which would qualify for my nvq2, but i cant include it because my training provider wont register me on nvq2 6089 until ive done my level 3 6129 tech cert, i know its a joke, now ill miss the deadline to register and they dont care,

i made the mistake of training with BTSC, building trade skill centre, i have to say the training is quite good though, just their policies are warped

one bathroom refit, your joking aint ya eh! eh?

try about 12, with 10 rad exchanges + 4 new install.
1 copper cylinder,
2 heating pumps.
3 c/w storage tanks.
1 power-shower + pump.
2 replacement showers.
1 outside tap.
2 kitchen taps + sink install.
1 washong machine dishwasher new install.
1 lead flashings to abutment.
1 guttering job.
2 0r 3 unusuall jobs like fridges for the icing on the cake.

all your own work from start to finish with no help and you better know every nut and joint on all those jobs because you will be asked to explain,

you may need 2 to 6 assesments depending how good you are and the examiner will come to your job as you are commissioning it.

overall about a years worth of your own jobs should convince him you know what your doing ie. competant.
good luck and thanks for the laugh.

Don't need the pipework, guttering or lead if you ahve a 6129. Assessor signs this off as being done.
Various basic health & safety tasks, ladders, ppe etc
Notching joists, drilling holes, chasing walls, lifting floorboards etc
Decommission (drain down etc) a couple of systems
4 main 'system' jobs. i.e. 2 hot water system installs and 2 heating system installs
A few basic maintenance jobs like ball valves etc and repair jobs
DONE!!!
Some done by assessor, some signed off by the plumber/engineer you work with

I'm doing my nvq, mainly consists of the bathroom install one based on hot water the other cold. " decommissioning of central heating system, some safety work and a few other jobs. I've done a couple of years at college and am self employed. I have paid a grand for the assessor, on top of the nearly 2 grand for the course

i have got a gnvq in bricklaying and am training to be a plumber. you dont have to have loads of site visits you have to work through a task book all you need is a photo of you doing the work and then get it sighned by a competent person ie someone qualified. so take a pic of youself wearing ppe and get your boss to sighn the photo then thats the health and saftey bit done simples

i have got a gnvq in bricklaying and am training to be a plumber. you dont have to have loads of site visits you have to work through a task book all you need is a photo of you doing the work and then get it sighned by a competent person ie someone qualified. so take a pic of youself wearing ppe and get your boss to sighn the photo then thats the health and saftey bit done simples
There are certain tasks and items that 'must' be seen by an assessor and they go across all areas, normally a minimum of about 3 visits depending on how much he/she can see while they are there. If you've been told different then it's either a 'sham' provider, 'lazy' provider or 'don't know what there doing' provider.

well i done mine 15 years ago nvq 2 and 3 and done the then introduced acops but the nvqs dont know if they mean anything now

doesnt work like that, you are either mistaken or the provider is cheating and should be shut down, who is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who Has Their NVQ2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock