Search the forum,

Discuss Whistling Outflow Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Duane Pipe

Hi All, glad I found the forum and hope you can preserve my sanity! Apologies in advance as I am a 'civilian' and may well not get the technical aspects right so please bear with me!
We had a new kitchen fitted three years ago. The outflow from the sink is 43mm pipe going through the wall and directly down into the drain outside and on to a septic tank. When the wind blows from the west (i.e. along the wall) there is a high pitched whistling from the outflow pipe which is very loud and distracting in the kitchen. If the terminal segment is removed and a bag placed over the open end of the outflow the whistling stops so it's definitely coming from the pipe.
I have tried cutting notches in the bottom of the pipe to alter it's shape, extending it down to just above the water line and putting a virtually airtight cover over the drain to prevent the wind getting in. I've tried wrapping plastic windbreak material over the end of the pipe and even cutting up a flower pot to act as a kind of cowl over the drain - and nothing works!:-(((
It seems to be acting like a musical instrument but I can't seem to find a way to stop the wind causing it to resonate. I've also checked to joints and the integrity of the pipe so there aren't any hidden gaps/holes to cause it. Presumably I can't extend the pipe to below the water line in case of siphoning back.
It's driving us nuts. Please help!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it"s all been professionally done.

ju7eruna.jpg

Make a u bend in the gully

Thank you all for your replies. I regret I couldn't get the plant pot idea to work but I managed to bodge up a temporary u bend with pond hose and so far it seems to be working! Thank you very much from me and my poor, long suffering wife - and for giving me back my kitchen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whistling Outflow Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock