Search the forum,

Discuss Whistling in pipes? Pressure? Water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Manlings_favour

Afternoon all,
For the last few days we have had whistling in our water pipes- this is particularly loud in the airing cupboard in my sons room.
The only way to stop it is to run a tap- anywhere in the house. It's quiet for about an hour then starts up again, it's not always a constant noise sometimes it dips in and out but will not fully go away until the tap is run.
I've turned everything off- boiler, immersion, made no difference, I've checked the toilets (someone suggested it was down to the ball cocks?) no difference. It's just not going away.
I have no idea what the pressure is or how to adjust it, but that's what I suspect may be the issue? It sounds like a whistling kettle!
I've bled the radiators but that hasn't made a difference either.
Please any tips are welcome, I'm at my wits end now. I'm having to leave the tap running all night so we can sleep which is ridiculous. (Please keep in mind I'm not a plumber and will need lay mans terms!

NB- there is no banging, or any other sound, just the whistling an hour or so after I've turned off the tap!!

Thanks in advance :)

admin- sorry I did post this as an unregistered user.. I registered then reposted because I wasn't sure it was linked to my unregistered post... I hope that makes sense! Please delete the other one xx

admin- sorry I did post this as an unregistered user.. I registered then reposted because I wasn't sure it was linked to my unregistered post... I hope that makes sense! Please delete the other one xx[/QUOTE]

Couple of xx`s on the end croppie, could be one for you! lol

admin- sorry I did post this as an unregistered user.. I registered then reposted because I wasn't sure it was linked to my unregistered post... I hope that makes sense! Please delete the other one xx/QUOTE]

Couple of xx`s on the end croppie, could be one for you! lol

Definitely one for me!

Hiya Manlings_favour,

We leave the guest and unregistered postings alone where we can so it can be seen we try and be as even handed as we can, not to rub your nose in it when you join - if you see what I mean?

Going by what you've described I would suggest that you may have a problem with the ball valve feeding the large cistern in your roof space.

I'll withhold the xx's for now until I establish whether you're a mister, miss, master, missus or ms........

I'm a little confused hah. But I am female.
Now tell me about the ball valve please? I quite literally have no idea- sadly veterinary medicine didn't prepare me for all these dilemma's when owning a house x

I'm a little confused hah. But I am female.
Now tell me about the ball valve please? I quite literally have no idea- sadly veterinary medicine didn't prepare me for all these dilemma's when owning a house x

Each to there own, but your in the right place now.
Croppie is starting with the large water tank in your loft, do you have access to it?

I do.. And I've just been told the overflow (on the outside of the house- I'm not sure if there is an internal so just to clarify!) is leaking a lot of water.. We've had dripping from there before and that was sorted when we changed the ball cock in the toilet, but it's now pouring out. X

The large water tank has a ball valve in it, similar to the one in the loo cistern, which maintains the water level. The whistling is likely to be caused by the valve passing slightly. Turning the tap on causes the water level to drop which in turn opens the ball valve which in turn reduces or stops the whistling.

If you feel competent enough, replace or rewasher the ball valve, otherwise if you post your area up, one of us might nbe nearby to do it for you.

If you DIY you need one of these...

Opella Brass 1/2" Ballvalve High Pressure Part 2 | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Sorry just to check, what does 'caused by the valve passing' actually mean?
I went up in the attic earlier but couldn't see anything movable In there.
I'm in Medway, Kent x

A valve should be either open to allow water to pass or closed and it sounds like yours is half and half, ie not fully closing so a small amount of water is passing through.

Last edited:
Ah okay! Thank you! Could this just happen on it own? Would that cause the pipe leaking outside?
X

If you're stuck for a plumber to take a look and rectify it for you then please feel free to send me a p.m and I'll send you a contact number.

I assumed it was just like a little grey tap like it is in the toilet ?! Dammit.
So I shut off the water before I start poking?

I assumed it was just like a little grey tap like it is in the toilet ?! Dammit.
So I shut off the water before I start poking? ��

Leave water on for now. Go back to post #8 and click on the Blue highlighted bit, this is what you are looking for but it will also have a large ball on the end.

You can touch it but don`t unscrew it until the water is off!! Without wishing to be rude I really think you could do with Rob paying a visit.

You inconsiderate plumber you, who gave you permission to leave! lol

Actually no one but the wife and kids were out so made the most of my short term freedom. Even managed to drink an entire cup of tea to myself.

Not had a reply, but I just checked and it said folders full, so that's probably why!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whistling in pipes? Pressure? Water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock