Search the forum,

Discuss Which way forward? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BenJen

Hi, sorry another what should I do thread. Anyhow here it goes.

i started plumbing 9 years ago and ever since I did I always wanted to go down the gas and heating route. The first company I started my apprenticeship said I'd be working with one of the bosses for 2 years. However they had the home hotline contract for the rg postcode so within 6 months I was given a van, mobile list of jobs and told any problems give us a call. I did that for 18 months then they took on the boiler breakdown part too and there goal was to train me to do that which I really wanted. However before that happened they went bust. So I went to a company that did site work where I finished my heating and ventilation nvq.

After that I had 2 choices British gas had offered me a job going down the sfl route and doing boiler services everyday. Or the job that I currently have which is fitting bathrooms, wet rooms and repairing whale waste pumps. I took this job because it was just my boss, and his son. I told my boss that I really wanted to do the gas and would go to British gas if he would only make me do bathrooms. He said that his son had done a 3 year apprenticeship with British gas and them worked for them for 10 years and he would be a good person to learn from as he was going to start doing gas work again.

7 years down the line I'm still doing mainly bathrooms but no boilers. My bosses son has moved to Australia. I still want to go down the gas route. What should I do I'm happy to work weekends for nothing with a gas engineer to gain my experience and then pay to do my acs and other qualifications once I have enough evidence for a portfolio. Or should I just stay with what I'm doing?

Thanks for reading any advice is gratefully received.

If it was a heat and vent nvq you could get your UP1A (medium sized commercial/ind. Installations) full scope, then do the domestic UP1B changeover to allow you to work on domestics too.

You cant go from UP1B to UPA1A.

Is there no local pipefitting firms you can get a job with, where you will no doubt help with installing appliances and pipework and therefore get evidence for your portfolio.

Have a look on the hvca payscale (google) to get an idea where you would stand financially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which way forward? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock