Search the forum,

Discuss Which side of radiator should thermostatic valve be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
which side of radiator should thermostatic valve be? Does it matter?

not with modern rad valves as normally they are bi-directional so can fit on flow or return, but check first

Any side would suit bidirectional valves, although given the choice I would also prefer them on the flow.
Another point is most people are right handed, so often the right side of radiator is logical, for any turn off or thermostatic valve.
In an awkward corner, it might be best to put the Trv on other easier to reach side

not with modern rad valves as normally they are bi-directional so can fit on flow or return, but check first
Yes understand that but as mine appears to be on the hot side would it tend to cut off early? Stat mounted vertically? Then rad tend to be cooler?

Yes understand that but as mine appears to be on the hot side would it tend to cut off early? Stat mounted vertically? Then rad tend to be cooler?

They are supposed to operate on air temperature, so shouldn't make much a difference.
If room has reached the approximate temperature that the Trv has shut off at, then it is doing its job

Main reason to be on the flow is the lock shield on the return is needed to be used to balanced the system. Cheers kop

I always try to put them on the flow due to their design. I realise that they are bi-directional but you can still - in certain circumstances - get an issue.

Main reason to be on the flow is the lock shield on the return is needed to be used to balanced the system. Cheers kop
The LS valve can be on the flow or return; all it is doing is setting the max flow through the rad. What goes in is the same as what comes out, so which side the LS valve is doesn't matter.

The LS valve can be on the flow or return; all it is doing is setting the max flow through the rad. What goes in is the same as what comes out, so which side the LS valve is doesn't matter.

Yes but trv like to be on the flow unles bi

But non-bi TRVs can be put on either end provided the arrow on TRV points in the direction of flow. On one end the head will be vertical; on the other end it will be horizontal.

True but most people don't like the trv sticking out further into the wall / length wise

Also can give false readings if something is too close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which side of radiator should thermostatic valve be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock