Search the forum,

Discuss Which SDS drill (or core drill, or both!..) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

I'm setting up on my own, starting in April and am slowly collecting a few tools that I'll need. I've got all the usual stuff (hand tools, torch etc) and now I'm going to have to bite the bullet and splash out an a few of the dearer items.

I killed a cheap Erbauer 5kg SDS last year while building my extension / new kitchen (but I have to say, it did work its backside off) and want to replace it with something more robust and reliable. I found the 5kg a bit heavy for prolonged use (not much fun up a ladder!) and I can't see me doing much of the breaking / chiselling that it got used for so I was thinking of a 3kg drill.

I guess it'll be mainly used for general plumbing tasks - running pipework, coring for wastes / soils etc

I'm prepared to spend a bit on something decent that'll last and can be serviced. Any recommendations would be gratefully received - or would I be better off getting a core drill instead? I guess I won't really know until I start up, but some advice from you experienced guys would be good.

cheers
Matt

id go for a corded core drill , and then a cordless sds drill myself

Thanks bod.
I've never used a dedicated diamond core drill (only had tct cores on an sds machine before). Are proper core drills that much better than something 'dual purpose' like an sds drill?

I've used an SDS for coring when I've been desperate but they're not a patch on a good core drill.

Indeed but as he's starting out an SDS is a good universal tool

Thanks for the replies everyone.

At the risk of asking numpty questions - in what ways are core drills different to an SDS drill when it comes to coring?

If I'm better off starting with an SDS, any recommendations? (as I said, I don't mind spending a bit of money to get something decent).

thanks again
Matt

Thanks for the replies everyone.

At the risk of asking numpty questions - in what ways are core drills different to an SDS drill when it comes to coring?

If I'm better off starting with an SDS, any recommendations? (as I said, I don't mind spending a bit of money to get something decent).

thanks again
Matt

think everyone talking about diamond cores, you dont use hammer action with these or u will knacker em.
:)

A core drill has a clutch so if it jams it doesn't take your wrist of!

The Ryobi SDS that I've mentioned above has a clutch also. A core drill is only good for coring. With the SDS you have all other drill options including chiseling for your raggling etc. Don't get me wrong, if you use the drill mainly for coring, get a core drill. Much stronger bushes & durability but if your wanting an around gun that does all but not specific to one, get an SDS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all - the SDS / core drill differences are starting to make sense now :)

cheers
Matt

without reading all the posts :

I recommend cordless Bosch 36v SDS , if got $ to spent get hilti 36v will drill for you up to 30mm if you step up your drill bits !
Got my self a 50mm TCT which i used on my TE60 it took 5 min to drill cavity wall , normal 1 1/4 diamond core did take like 45min

i think you would be better off with a good quality sds drill to start with, it's more useable than a deadicated core drill, bosch make excellent sds machines, you cant go wrong with a gbh-2-26dre, it does up to 26mm in masonry, has a 800w motor & 3yr warranty. they can be bought for around ÂŁ130, you can also use it for coring but it is not a proper core drill.

without reading all the posts :

I recommend cordless Bosch 36v SDS , if got $ to spent get hilti 36v will drill for you up to 30mm if you step up your drill bits !
Got my self a 50mm TCT which i used on my TE60 it took 5 min to drill cavity wall , normal 1 1/4 diamond core did take like 45min
does it blow face off brick ?

You need to base your choice on what you need your drill to do. Most sds drill's can core drill up to a certain size and then you will risk over loading the motor and mechanics. Core drills are designed to cope with the extra stresses and the clutch will kick in at a designed point to avoid both damage to the drill, the wall surface and also the users wrists. also core drills have a rrp speed thats ideally suited to the core bits where as sds drills have a rrp speed suited to the use of sds hammer bits.

So what do you think you will need your drill for? My advise would be to get a 110v sds drill and transformer first of all, then when you start to get work that requires then need of a core drill get one.

now as for sds drill there are a number of possilbe good drills, decide what size holes you may want to make?? and how offten. if you just want to drill 7/8mm holes for fixings and 15mm holes then get a small 2kg drill with a impact force of around 1.5j to 2.0j. If you want to drill holes of around 22mm then get a 2-3kg drill with an impact force of 2.0j to 3.0j. If you want to drill holes of around 28mm then get a 3-5kg sds drill with an impact force of 3.0j to 5j.

if you read the tech spec of each drill you will see it gives suggested max size holes, normally say 20mm or 26mm for example, this means the drill will be capable of drilling at this size but doing so constantly will lessen the life of the tool. So if you plan to drill 26mm holes offten get a drill that has a max size of 30mm or more, if you will only drill a 26mm hole once in a while then a drill rated at 26mm will be fine. If you want to drill 30mm plus offten then you will want to go up to sds max drills.

one other consideration that could be important is weight, my sds max drill smashes through walls but is very heavy and not ideal to use over head for long periods but my lighter sds plus is not very powerful but is very easy to use one handed.

so once you decide what you will be drilling then decide if you want to also chisel with it? most sds drill now chisel as a third function and are normally fine for light jobs. The higher a drills joules impact rate the better or more power it will have when chiseling. So this may sway you to go for a higher rated drill??

now for what brand, well you wont be disappointed with bosch, dewalt, makita, milwaukee, hilti, hitachi. But some manufactures offer an extended warranty...... ie bosch will give you a 3 year warranty which is a major plus.

i would go for something like this if it suits your goals

http://www.*************/p/bosch-gbh-2400-2kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-110v/97890?cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Tools-_-Bosch GBH 2400 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 110V&gclid=CN3I25jLxq4CFYYmtAodOXwGwA

"SCREWFIX"

ÂŁ99
3 years warranty
fine for 22mm holes
2.7j so decent amount of power for chiseling

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone - very useful advice.

I guess unsurprisingly it's horses for courses and there's no such thing as a do anything supertool :)

I think I'll start off with something like the Bosch you recommend AWheating and if I start to need to core for a lot of soils and wastes then it's core drill time.

cheers

Matt

theres only one tool that covers these type of situations that will ever be the ultimate easy to carry tool
and that is a packet of holes ÂŁ34.99 from wickes

Makita 8406/1 8406 110V 13mm Diamond Core dill its a dedicated core drill with clutch cant go wrong with this one , and get some decent core bits ( i can supply ) pm for details

Makita 8406/1 8406 110V 13mm Diamond Core dill its a dedicated core drill with clutch cant go wrong with this one , and get some decent core bits ( i can supply ) pm for details

Cheers bud, but I've already got myself a DDM2 - Marcrist 850 cores to follow next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which SDS drill (or core drill, or both!..) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock