Search the forum,

Discuss Which screwdrivers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm about due to replace my ancient screwdriver set. I want the normal I think I. E couple of different sized Phillips, slotted electrical and a stubby of each. two factors really important and comfy handles and magnetic tips. Not too fussed on budget as my last ones have lasted years so I know it's money well spent but I don't want to spend for spending sake. Any recommendations please chaps...

I like my Stanley set had them over a year which is longer then I have kept wera, rotherberger, irrizola, bahco, spear and Jackson sets for

Totally agree, Stanley and bahco or great , but even most cheaper ones will do fine as at the end of the day the just get lost or left under bath panels or floor boards lol

Screwdrivers............i've learned over the years a good screwdriver is one that fits your hand and fits the screw and i have bought literally 100's. Never mind all these ÂŁ40 -50 quid lazer special hardened rubbish with the fancy name tags. They all wear down just the same and are no better.
Buy a decent 3 to 4mm flat screwdriver for your electrics (btw some of the best electrics screwdrivers i've had have been those ÂŁ1 neons) everything else buy to suit your hand even if it is the ÂŁ1.50 screwdriver from the B&M shop.

Btw the only screwdrivers i have that have lasted me 40 years are a yankee (2 of them ) and a 12" orange handled ck pozi.

i liked Stanley ones and also bought some facom ones for electrical , also the ck ones have lasted well , found going through the local diy shop and then seeing what I liked as in comfort , quality , price etc and then looked online and found some very good deals as in box sets etc

the sites like Amazon were useful when they had customer feedbacks

some of the boot fares were good for great deals, but was always worried about cheap copies

got some long reach Phillips and cross head ones for the neataheats etc

happy shopping

Last edited by a moderator:
as tamz has said the grip/ feel in your hand is very important. get to a decent tool shop and tek a look.

I personally prefer the ck screw drivers but for the long handled I usually buy wickes

Ive got
Wera 300mm Phipps pozi flat for boilers or bathroom vanity units ( Wera Kraftform Plus Lasertip 300mm Screwdriver Set 3 Pc | General Purpose Sets | Screwfix.com )
Wera 6pc set for general use ( Wera Kraftform Plus Lasertip Screwdriver Set 6Pcs | General Purpose Sets | Screwfix.com )
Cheap set of stubbys ( Stubby Screwdriver Set 4 Pc | Screwdriver Sets | Screwfix.com ) as I only use them every now and then
Go-thru set for abuse ( Screwdriver Set 'Go-Thru' 6Pc | General Purpose Sets | Screwfix.com )
And a no brand set of electric screwdrivers

I haven't had any problems with them over 4 years and there all still in good shape and comfortable to use

poundland. or near end of month 99p shop. they still get knicked or lost exactly the same..

Thanks for all your input guys. Looks like I will be visiting a tool store this weekend!

Got an assorted set of Weras from a mate who works for them on the cheap, they are great. Especially like the chiseldrivers that have metal reinforced handles for when you use them for chiselling stuff out or persuading out rounded heads

Brought a 8 piece set of Kamas screwdrivers (Green & Black handles) 2 months back at half price, like them a lot and feel good in the hand with a slightly cushioned soft touch grip.

Bought same set as this in 2006 and apart from losing a couple the rest are still going strong, as Tamz says I had these out the box first and had a good grip on them to see if they suited me, also bought the Teng tools long pozi driver as well,

Teng MD912N 12pc Screwdriver Set

I've got a good set of electical screwdrivers which cover most uses and halfords professional for the long reach ones.

I have had a load of screwdrivers, and as Tamz says they are all the same except how they feel. I like the Stanley Fatmax ends as they are big and round. Ends are colour coded so if you have a bag with them stood up you know if it's slotted, pozi, Phillips, torx etc.

Ive got Stanley as I love the different colours for Pozi, Phillips and Torx etc

Just a quick glance and you have the right tool

I've got wiha at moment. Always use vde . Klein look good but they don't have a 3mm or 4mm blade, w t f ? ÂŁ25 a driver and no decent sizes

+1 for stanley, which is strange as i normally dont like stanley tools. The screwdrivers are ace though. The only downside is that they are not magnetic

+1 for stanley, which is strange as i normally dont like stanley tools. The screwdrivers are ace though. The only downside is that they are not magnetic
You can buy a jobby which magnetises and de-magnetises screwdrivers. From toolstation I believe [emoji1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which screwdrivers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock