Search the forum,

Discuss Which multimeter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob2048

Hi all looking to get a multimeter for fault finding on boilers and anything els I can find to test can you recommend any what kind of price what functions do I need it to have any tips would be great thanks rob

Love my KEWTECH KT116. Got it new for 35 quid on ebay - half price. I guess any auto range multimeter should do the job for you. Get Fluke, if you can afford it.

Fluke for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 111
I have a fluke but Plumbfix have one TPI Ez 100 £35.00 one button auto detecting does not have buzzer but looks ok for price some one on here might no a bit more Aboat them

Not as posh looking as bods mine is 15 year old and I bought it second hand then but still good working order

Was looking at getting the TPI EZ 100 myself for the lad that works with me if any one has this model is it any good

Rob are you just starting out ?
Hi bod been installing for a couple of years would like to do breakdowns as well don't want to buy the tools twice so thought best ask finding a good place to learn is the hard bit

agree with above, good meter for the money.

by a fluke when you at the stage your using it every day and you know how to avoid killing it.

agree with above, good meter for the money.

by a fluke when you at the stage your using it every day and you know how to avoid killing it.
I didn't think about blowing a few up to start with good tip thanks

It's easily done. I blew one up by leaving it on OHMS after checking the resistance of an element, and then checking for voltage on the appliance with out changing the dial to AC voltage. This was a fair few years back, and luckilly I had bought a half decent meter made by 'Di Log' and it was fused.

I would suggest that if you do buy a cheap meter, you buy some expensive and preferably fused leads for it. So if you do put some voltage on it that you shouldn't, it doesn't blow up in your hands.

The fuse exploded inside mine. Didn't just blow. I took it apart, and shook the glass out, put in another quick blow, low amp fuse of the right rating and it was fine for years after. Decent leads can be used from meter to meter too. Unless you damage them.

I know have two meters. One that stays in my van, and one in with my analyser. The one that stays in the van is a Socket & See one. Gas Man (mod/regular on here) had one of these, and didn't rate it. I've found it ok.

The other is a Fluke 116.

It's handy to have something that can measure micro amps, though I don't use that function very often at all. You can test flame rec probes, and thermocouples with that setting.

you need micro amps on a meter now and it will get more necessary over the next few years unless they change boiler desicns

No. You use the voltage range for checking volts, you use the microamp range to ensure the ionisation probe is putting out a current.

No. You use the voltage range for checking volts, you use the microamp range to ensure the ionisation probe is putting out a current.
Think I'm guna need a lesson or two before I've got the hang of it

Get the mr combi DVD not a bad starting point also get on the manufacturers courses
Wow just seen the price of the DVD two disk 60 quid each I can feel my Yorkshire tightness kicking in Evan my eye twitched

It's handy to have something that can measure micro amps, though I don't use that function very often at all. You can test flame rec probes, and thermocouples with that setting.

Ahem. I did say why it's handy to have said function!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which multimeter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I'm having with my Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 boiler (R1 PCB). It was installed in 2013 and has worked perfectly up until this week. When the boiler does start, it runs for a few seconds, makes some noises, and then shuts down again. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a recommendation for a heat only boiler to replace my 30yrs old ideal boiler. Any makes you would recommend and any to avoid? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to replace my bathroom tap with a new one, I am trying to remove the existing rusty flexible tap connectors from this bit of 22mm copper pipe. But this thing is not budging at all its like its welded or super glued on, I am using some water pliers on both points here but its not...
Replies
Views
Hi All Looking to purchase a press fit tool and considering many brands. I don’t do a lot of pipe work, so don’t need a heavy duty one. Hot works are becoming a thing of the past. Any recommendations?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can someone help identify this bathtub please as I need to replace the side and back panel but can't find what it is. I know it's a P Shape but all the ones I have seen have the taps at the end of the bath and not on the side like this one, also the dimension of the bath tub is standard...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock