Search the forum,

Discuss Which Multimeter for a heating engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Need to get a multimeter for when I'm doing any wiring on heating systems. Who here does their own wiring and what multimeter do you use?

Looking for something that will do everything I need it to but that is simple to use.

Thanks

Get a fluke mate. I've got one and its the business. You can get cheaper ones and they are ok, but I like the fluke ones.

Im cleaning out the garage the weekend, I'm sure I've got an old multi meter knocking around somewhere. It's not a fluke, but if I can find it and its in decent nick you can have it to play around on if you want.

Get a fluke mate. I've got one and its the business. You can get cheaper ones and they are ok, but I like the fluke ones.

Im cleaning out the garage the weekend, I'm sure I've got an old multi meter knocking around somewhere. It's not a fluke, but if I can find it and its in decent nick you can have it to play around on if you want.

Thanks!

I'll have a look at a fluke too.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with this thread/post. This is not a reply.

My question is: How do i post a new post? Where is the "button" to be found?

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with this thread/post. This is not a reply.

My question is: How do i post a new post? Where is the "button" to be found?
hi think you mean a thread ? go to forum which you want to start thread and click on start new thread button :)

Is there a guide available anywhere for electrical fault finding on heating systems or a guide to using a multimeter on heating systems?

Is there a guide available anywhere for electrical fault finding on heating systems or a guide to using a multimeter on heating systems?

Have you got an iPhone? If you have download the Honeywell wiring diagram booklet. If not speak to Honeywell and they will send you a booklet out for free

Get a fluke if you can afford it. I use a TPI one even has contactless free voltage checker for safety checks on it.

Those flukes look very expensive compared with a £30 multimeter from screwfix. What is the difference?

A Fluke is top quality, but not really necessary for wiring up. For that you need to measure volts (AC and DC) and ohms, and a you need a continuity checker (which is usually a low ohms range and most meters have it). Being able to measure current (amps) is rarely needed, but most meters have it. Very easy to blow the meter up on the amps ranges - don't ask how I know! As someone has already said, you should also have a proving unit. This is to check that your meter is correctly detecting the presence of a voltage. If your meter is broken and you check for 230V it might read zero, so using the proving unit before and after the voltage check. I use one of the Maplin range for most jobs and reserve the better meters for those needing more finesse.

A Fluke is top quality, but not really necessary for wiring up. For that you need to measure volts (AC and DC) and ohms, and a you need a continuity checker (which is usually a low ohms range and most meters have it). Being able to measure current (amps) is rarely needed, but most meters have it. Very easy to blow the meter up on the amps ranges - don't ask how I know! As someone has already said, you should also have a proving unit. This is to check that your meter is correctly detecting the presence of a voltage. If your meter is broken and you check for 230V it might read zero, so using the proving unit before and after the voltage check. I use one of the Maplin range for most jobs and reserve the better meters for those needing more finesse.

A fluke multimeter has AC and DC settings and ohms, at least ones i have used have. To check for continuity without the buzzer you put it on the ohms scale setting.

electrical checks.jpg

i have just completed Baxi course, which they do at dartford. its 3 days and about £65 for each day if booked online. i was on the course with experienced engineers and people that were new to the game (like myself). everyone learnt and was impressed with the course

i couldnt praise it enough

Need to get a multimeter for when I'm doing any wiring on heating systems. Who here does their own wiring and what multimeter do you use?

Looking for something that will do everything I need it to but that is simple to use.

Thanks

which ever one you choose, make sure its autorange

Some good advice so far, but consider if you need a mulitimeter for standard plumbing use. There are other products which may be more suitable for continuity, volt testing and safe isolation procedure - note multi-testers are often not suitable for safe isolation testing because of the need for a self proving function.

Get a device which has a double contact with internal self proving unit - I can't remember the exact specification, but HSE have one that is suitable for safe isolation procedure as well as having functions which are suitable for plumbing/heating technicians.

Rob, are you talking about a course that construction skills do? Or just a book? If a course, have you been on it and how do you have a link please

like any tool mate some would say the most expensive but if you can manage with cheaper ones why not - all plumbers dont have the the most expensive tools.i would buy a cheaper digital multimeter £20 - £30 and when and if you need then upgrade in the future i have a fluke but hardly use it my trusty £30 meter still working good after 6 years.

Rob, are you talking about a course that construction skills do? Or just a book? If a course, have you been on it and how do you have a link please
I went on it at Carnegie college in Dunfermiline, fife. Really good course and books are also good which you can buy off their site.

is that the one that is classed as electric? What price do they go for as I cannot seem to find it on their site.

Philex 83002R/S Digital Multimeter with Temp Probe | NoLinkingToThis

would this do me for starters?

Apolgies if you already have one of these Armyash, but this is the tool that is most fitting to technicians doing boiler work or plumbing electrics.

One of the draw backs of our current training regime is that safe isolation of electrics is just ignored. In order to isolate electrics properly you need a double contact tool, with self proving unit GS 38 approved.

VCT-GS38 Compliant Voltage Indicator - Safety Voltage Tester

A tool like this will save your life. Fluke do one and there are other makes, I just found this as an example.

Last edited:
Ash, make sure you get an auto-ranging multimeter, will def make your life much easier.

I have a ryobi tek4 and rate it highly, tough as nails, auto-ranging, backlit and fairly cheap. I only wish it had a magnetic back so I could stick it to boiler casings instead of struggling to find a place to stand/hook it.

It means you don't have to set the range/parameters of what you're measuring I.e. ohms/k.ohms

I have checked a lot of multimeters out this morning online but not sure what to get. Can anyone recommend me an auto ranging one between £25-£45 and I'll go and get one this morning. I may need one this week so I want to get my head around it a bit before Monday. Thanks

this looks ok click on link and you can download the manual worth a look

Philex 83003R/S Digital Multimeter 1000V | NoLinkingToThis#

Philex 83002R/S Digital Multimeter with Temp Probe | NoLinkingToThis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which Multimeter for a heating engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock