Search the forum,

Discuss Whic Central Heating Filter to go for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cold

Which Central Heating Filter to go for?

Hi All

I'm getting my boiler changed and want to fit a central heating filter at the same time, but am wondering which is the best to go for, as I've seen a few different types but aren't sure on their differences. I've also read that the filters can leak, so is there any advice on that, e.g. fit separate full-flow isolation valves on either side of the filter, in case the filter fittings start to leak?

I've seen the TF1 for £81:
Fernox Total Filter TF1 Magnetic Filter

which is labelled as a magnetic filter, but on reading the description also removes non magnetic contaminants!

I've also seen the Magnaclean TwinTech for £116 which is a magnetic and non-magnetic filter:
Central Heating Filter – MagnaClean TwinTech

Then there's the Sentinel filter for £124 which is also a magnetic and non-magnetic filter
Sentinel 22mm Magnetite System Filter [SYSTEM-FILTER-GB] - £123.90 : UK Plumbing, Online Shop

So I'm a bit confused as to the differences between them. The price difference between the twintech and the sentinel isn't much, but the TF1 is quite a bit cheaper, so was wondering whether I'm missing something and in your experiences which is the best to go for?

Also how long do these filters actually last for, do they need changing every couple of years or so?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have used both of the Magnacleans available and the Fernox filter. I am pleased with the performance of both but the fernox is easier to fit (better valves) easier to clean (can be cleaned in situ) and is equivalent in performance to the Magnaclean Pro. At about 2/3 of the price (City Plumbing doing at £69 plus VAT at the moment) I always opt for the Fernox these days. I have never used the Sentinel filter but it looks pricey to me and I cannot imagine the performance is that much better.

Good luck, Doug

Hi, I have used both of the Magnacleans available and the Fernox filter. I am pleased with the performance of both but the fernox is easier to fit (better valves) easier to clean (can be cleaned in situ) and is equivalent in performance to the Magnaclean Pro. At about 2/3 of the price (City Plumbing doing at £69 plus VAT at the moment) I always opt for the Fernox these days. I have never used the Sentinel filter but it looks pricey to me and I cannot imagine the performance is that much better.

Good luck, Doug

would agree,have only used magnaclean and fernox filters and think fernox have it,like product alot and good price,magnaclean is close but as I have said before,is over priced

Re: Which Central Heating Filter to go for?

Good luck, Doug

Hi

You mention that the Fernox is equivalent to the Magnaclean Pro, I thought the Magnaclean Pro was only a magnetic filter, whereas it sounds like the Fernox is magentic and non-magnetic or am I mistaken?

I was going to go for the Magnaclean TwinTech as it filters both types, but if the Fernox also filters both types and is a better filter, then I'll probably just go for that, as it's a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

Hi All,
Call me a old cynic if you like.
But for my 2p worth. Whilst I was employed at Brighton Uni I had a proper fiter system fitted that included wound filter media and silicon balls , if think it was called Pro filter this filterd the water to my Photographic darkroom down to 5 microns but it was eventually removed due to our drinking water was on the same supply and nobody could give assurances that the silico ballsI( to remove the calcum ) would not be harmful to health long term. This system was replaced by a electronic device that needed wires wrapped around the pipes to function. Having seen these devices advertised in the various Koi Carp Mags and their guarantee to remove all blanket weed etc I bought one for my self at the same time It was then fitted acording to the manufactures instructions. Wellllllllll I'm still haveing to haul out loads and loads of Blanket weed each summer and the only thing that seems to kill it is Chemicals:(. So unless some independant body can prove beond doupt that these magnetic or electronic devices actully work I think that either a application of Snake Oil or standing naked at midnight at the cross roads wearing a red bowler hat is just as likely to work and it's much cheaper:D
A very Cynical oldie

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I think the best to get is the magnaclean twintech then, however after reading another thread I came across the Spirotech magnabooster:
[DLMURL="http://www.fish4parts.co.uk/Plumbing.81/Deaeration+%252526+Dirt+Separation+Equipment.10930246/"]Fish4Parts(Fish for Parts) - Your One Stop Parts Shop, Salford, Manchester, UK Deaeration & Dirt Separation Equipment[/DLMURL]

Has anyone got any experience with these? I can't find much info, any reviews or many stockists, is this a new product or something and any idea where the cheapest place to buy it from would be?

Also there's an SV2 and an SV3 model, but I can't seem to tell the difference between them! Would it be OK to use the SV3 model (as it's cheaper) on a combi system?

Thanks.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I think the best to get is the magnaclean twintech then, however after reading another thread I came across the Spirotech magnabooster:
[DLMURL="http://www.fish4parts.co.uk/Plumbing.81/Deaeration+%252526+Dirt+Separation+Equipment.10930246/"]Fish4Parts(Fish for Parts) - Your One Stop Parts Shop, Salford, Manchester, UK Deaeration & Dirt Separation Equipment[/DLMURL]

Has anyone got any experience with these? I can't find much info, any reviews or many stockists, is this a new product or something and any idea where the cheapest place to buy it from would be?

Also there's an SV2 and an SV3 model, but I can't seem to tell the difference between them! Would it be OK to use the SV3 model (as it's cheaper) on a combi system?

Thanks.

I am a big fan of the spirotech products, i have brought them online from this websitehttp://www.myplumbparts.com the price is fab! i got lots of info about the products on the website,a mate of mine installs the SV3 on the warm front scheme. he recommend the prdoducts.

Hi All,
Call me a old cynic if you like.
But for my 2p worth. Whilst I was employed at Brighton Uni I had a proper fiter system fitted that included wound filter media and silicon balls , if think it was called Pro filter this filterd the water to my Photographic darkroom down to 5 microns but it was eventually removed due to our drinking water was on the same supply and nobody could give assurances that the silico ballsI( to remove the calcum ) would not be harmful to health long term. This system was replaced by a electronic device that needed wires wrapped around the pipes to function. Having seen these devices advertised in the various Koi Carp Mags and their guarantee to remove all blanket weed etc I bought one for my self at the same time It was then fitted acording to the manufactures instructions. Wellllllllll I'm still haveing to haul out loads and loads of Blanket weed each summer and the only thing that seems to kill it is Chemicals:(. So unless some independant body can prove beond doupt that these magnetic or electronic devices actully work I think that either a application of Snake Oil or standing naked at midnight at the cross roads wearing a red bowler hat is just as likely to work and it's much cheaper:D
A very Cynical oldie

Think your muddling water softener with filters! From experience in a hard water area a magnetic water softener works well in prevent calcifying of the heat exchangers on combiis, not so in devon as its soft water down here.

Re filters magnaclean fine around £85 plus vat but valves can fail and always seem to weep at joints when first put together.

Think your muddling water softener with filters! From experience in a hard water area a magnetic water softener works well in prevent calcifying of the heat exchangers on combiis, not so in devon as its soft water down here.

Re filters magnaclean fine around £85 plus vat but valves can fail and always seem to weep at joints when first put together.

Hi old plummer,
The system I used had 3 seperate cylinder the first had a course fiber wound media that then followed on to a fine wound media that filtered all particals out down to 5 microns, but you are correct about the final cylinder that had the silicon balls in, that was to remove the calcium out of the water
I'm sure the makers of this were called PRO FILTER but it was about ten years ago so my memory may be haveing a senior moment or of couse they may well have gone the way of a lot of companys (sorry for the pun but couldn't resist it:D ) down the pan!!
oldie

Don't like the Fernox Boiler Buddy as it is a pain to service.

Re: Which Central Heating Filter to go for?

Hi All

I'm getting my boiler changed and want to fit a central heating filter at the same time, but am wondering which is the best to go for, as I've seen a few different types but aren't sure on their differences. I've also read that the filters can leak, so is there any advice on that, e.g. fit separate full-flow isolation valves on either side of the filter, in case the filter fittings start to leak?

I've seen the TF1 for £81:
Fernox Total Filter TF1 Magnetic Filter

which is labelled as a magnetic filter, but on reading the description also removes non magnetic contaminants!

I've also seen the Magnaclean TwinTech for £116 which is a magnetic and non-magnetic filter:
Central Heating Filter – MagnaClean TwinTech

Then there's the Sentinel filter for £124 which is also a magnetic and non-magnetic filter
Sentinel 22mm Magnetite System Filter [SYSTEM-FILTER-GB] - £123.90 : UK Plumbing, Online Shop

So I'm a bit confused as to the differences between them. The price difference between the twintech and the sentinel isn't much, but the TF1 is quite a bit cheaper, so was wondering whether I'm missing something and in your experiences which is the best to go for?

Also how long do these filters actually last for, do they need changing every couple of years or so?

Thanks.

I would agree the TF1 seems to be the best . I wouldnt fit the magnabooster 2 unless thats what the customer wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whic Central Heating Filter to go for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock