Search the forum,

Discuss Where to source an unusual piece of pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlistairSellar

Hi,

Are there any companies out there who supply weird and wonderful plumbing parts? I have a well-bottom cistern and the syphon tail has cracked. It has a crank shape (see attached pic) and I can't find anything similar on the main plumbing supplies websites.

Replacing the whole syphon doesn't seem to be an option - the standard rubberwell ones won't fit my cistern. So if I can't replace (or fix?) the tail, it'll have to be the whole cistern!

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Alistair

000_0074.jpg

Why does it have to crank the syphon over & how tall is the top when it was in place ??
Who cistern is it ??

Can't you replace with a standard height adjustable siphon ?.
or convert to the dreaded push button.

A picture would help, inside whole cistern Alistair.

Al

If you can't fit a syphon in there, perhaps you could fit a 'flapper' valve? Takes up less room. Alternatively I very recently came across a valve in a WC I fitted for a friend.

It was from Bathstore, but I don't know who makes the flush valve. Basically it worked the same as most push button valves (with a cable) but instead of a button, it had a conventional lever. When turned this didn't have quite as much resistance as a standard syphon but I was impressed (which is a first for Bathstore products).

Just tried to look on google images for a photo to show you but had no luck.

This is similar, but the one I fitted had a victoriana style WC and handle. It also only turned in the conventional sense.Toilet_Flush_Valve_Repair_Kit_Change_flapper.jpg

toilet-inside.jpgThis is a flapper. Less common in the UK/modern WC's. Could get you out of trouble.

Yeah, I don't use em, but as a last resort it might get the guy out of trouble. The ideal solution (find a suitable replacement) doesn't sound viable (if he's really looked well) so you have to start looking outside the box.

The flush valve in that Bathstore lav' was clever, but I don't know where you'd source one. I suppose you could start with Bathstore.com

Well Chris, I like to walk the line. Like a razors edge. I'm rock N roll, not saugage roll.....LOL!!

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. In answer to the questions, the cistern is at least 50 years old, and the well seems narrower than modern standard well-bottom ones, since rubberwell syphons won't fit in it. The reason it needs to be cranked is that the down-pipe of the syphon sits to one side of well, but needs to be linked to the centre of the well.I have tried emailing the toiletspares.co.uk people. If that fails the most promising suggestion is a height adjustable syphon. Is this a standard syphon with a long tail, such that the wide part of the syphon stands above the narrow part of the well-bottom cistern? I think that might work - although the water in the well would not get used, there might be enough in the upper part for a decent flush.Thanks,Alistair

Problem now resolved. I had no joy with bathroomspares.co.uk or with duravit, so I ended up going for the flapper. Seems like that will dismay some of you, but it's saved me the cost of a new cistern so I'm happy.Thanks for all your help.

so glad you are sorted & hope you don't get in a flap with your flapper?
never had one myself, had a few slappers but no flappers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where to source an unusual piece of pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock