Search the forum,

Discuss where can you get stainless pipe from in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vauxmods

Hi all, Im after 15mm stainless pipe but am having trouble finding any online, can anyone help me out, south wales area
thanx all

plumb centre, wilsons, bss ??? I would probably say BSS is your best bet

thanx

still having trouble finding the pipe online though

Last edited by a moderator:
Bss. Mapress sell it for their gas range

Don't buy it, it's the worst pipe ever devised and hardly a week goes by when I'm not fixing bursts in it from houses plumbed in the 60's and 70's. It's a nightmare to work with, your standard pipe cutters wont cut it, forget soldering it and pushfit, make sure that compression olives are fully compressed as they tend to turn. It's the only pipe I know that rusts from the inside out and eventually bursts without notice after only 10-15 years service. I rip it all out and replace it in affected homes.

if they are that bad then why are all new hopsitals having them installed ??? must be a better grade of stainless, still a nightmare to work with though !!

Because as a cost saver to the NHS it's cheap to buy and cheaper than chrome and copper. I've had people in tears as water pees through bursts in Stainless Steel usually under floorboards and hard to get to.
Next to Nuralite, it's the worst plumbing invention ever.

i was told the reason they were using it in hospitals was due to bacteria problems

bssuk is bss online like a lot of people it wouldnt be my first choice any particular reason for this vauxmods

Don't buy it, it's the worst pipe ever devised and hardly a week goes by when I'm not fixing bursts in it from houses plumbed in the 60's and 70's. It's a nightmare to work with, your standard pipe cutters wont cut it, forget soldering it and pushfit, make sure that compression olives are fully compressed as they tend to turn. It's the only pipe I know that rusts from the inside out and eventually bursts without notice after only 10-15 years service. I rip it all out and replace it in affected homes.

Never in my life have i come across a burst ss pipe and i work the same area's you do. Ss will last as long as copper. It does knock fk out of your cutter wheels tho and it can be soldered using phoshorous flux if you want to try it.
Pipe that rusts from the inside out is truewell on heating (an alloy of zinc and steel). Not a lot left still in use these days.

What I've found with stainless steel that when it corrodes from the inside, it makes tiny pin holes on the outer coating of the pipe and a rusty water mark along the pipe which makes it difficult to locate the leak. A Similar thing can happen with towel rads that haven't got inhibitor.
I hate the stuff and it's often used as a cheaper alternative to chrome copper and in public loos. A lot of houses were built using the stuff during the 60's and 70's and I now don't even try to repair it, just replace it as much as possible.
Yes you can solder it using special flux but what's the point in carrying yet more plumbing stuff about just for that. Your cutters get knackered and it's sometimes a pig to compress. Chrome copper is far better and doesn't rust/corrode. Hell, even copper pipe painted silver is better!
It should be relagated to the archives of disaster along with Nuralite and PC4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to where can you get stainless pipe from in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock