Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Where can I get This Toilet Diaphragm Washer? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Skind56

Skind56 New Member

IMG_1585.JPG
    Where can I source the attached diaphragm? I've tried a standard diaphragm but no luck.

Thanks
    Steve

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Skind56

Skind56 New Member

Wow, thanks for the rapid response. Sorry, should have provided more detail. Yes a float operated valve, see attached photo.
    IMG_1587.JPG
    Those from TP don't look the same and I've already tried the standard ones.
    My thinking is that I should probably just replace with a bottom entry fill valve, but which one and from where?

Cheers
    Steve

4. snowhead

snowhead Plumber

Looks just like a Part 2 to me.
    The original one has hardened and is stuck towards the closed position, hence restricted flow.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. CBW1982

Hi Steve,

Yes, it’s a standard part 3 float valve (plastic). They should fit fine, I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t. If you do want to replace, then any plumbers merchant, Screwfix, toolstation, major diy stores should sell them. Just ask for a bottom inlet float operated valve. They still make that type, but many others are available. Just make sure there aren’t any other installation requirements as set out in the water regulations/WRAS website. A compact one might be better.

Out of interest, what is the fault?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

They should work mate. But if not sure just replace. They are cheap enough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skind56

Skind56 New Member

Hi

The problem is that the water does not stop flowing into cistern so overflows into pan. I can pull up float arm and this stops the flow but letting go the arm starts the flow again (drip). The diaphragm has partly perished and I thought this was the problem. I tried replacing with a standard diaphragm from B&Q (but was worse) that looks similar to one of the TP diaphragms (bottom left on TP webpage) but I'm thinking it should possibly be bottom right diaphragm although I have no idea if there is a difference. The existing diaphragm has, at the very top, an indentation and small dome that fits into inlet hole that, I think, provides the seal.

Thanks
    Steve

8. snowhead

snowhead Plumber

Have you tried the Diaphragm / Washer both ways in the valve?

• Like Like x 1
  9. CBW1982

I don’t know which one from B&Q you purchased, but those from TP should be the ones, I have changed many. From what you describe and the image, then I would say it’s definitely the correct one (TP - other suppliers are available). They aren’t that expensive and neither is a new float valve - up to you though.

There are some opella and torbeck (same company) that meet WRAS approval without additional backflow prevention, usually just service valve and filter.

Also some Siamp valves no longer require backflow prevention.

The choice is yours.

10. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Have you tried adjusting the level?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Just a standard part 2 diaphragm washer needed. Fixed plenty of that exact valve.
    I would advise a brass tailed valve more suitable for mains pressure though.
    The Fluidmaster 45 ProB is very quiet on mains pressure when the supplied flow reducer is installed inside it

• Like Like x 1
  14. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Bog standard diaphragm, but you will need to adjust float level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skind56

Skind56 New Member

Thanks very much for all the replies.

I have tried washer both ways. I've tried adjusting float level to the point where the water pressure is reduced.
    I think I'll go for the PRO45B from local B&Q (Fluidmaster Pro fill valves | DIY at B&Q). The quiet fill will be better as it's an upstairs toilet where the bedrooms are.
    Cheers
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1