Search the forum,

Discuss When to use continuity bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I know when applying flame to a fitting you remove the gas meter and fit bonding upstream and downstream, and if cutting into a gas pipe you use bonding either side of break. Do you use it if replacing and isolation valve?

On water you mean ?

Hi,
I know when applying flame to a fitting you remove the gas meter and fit bonding upstream and downstream, and if cutting into a gas pipe you use bonding either side of break. Do you use it if replacing and isolation valve?
As far as I know yes, because you break into a pipe supply

The long answer is technically all bonding should be close to the point the metallic part whether it be a pipe or whatever enters into the house.
If you break into the pipe before that point, even when there is not an existing broken neutral in the supply network you could be breaking a decent current if the phases are not in balance. Factor in a broken neutral and in a totally extreme case the bonding could be the return path in place of the neutral.
Gas is particularly sensitive to sparking when a pipe is pulled apart for obvious reasons. But in any case you are removing the protective bonding, so if the water was the only bond and you cut into it you could leave yourself with a decent voltage across the two separated parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When to use continuity bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I know no one really does. But technically why should we use bonding clamps when we cut a section of gas or water pipes out? Thanks.
Replies
Views
I’m fitting a small basin on a floating countertop (30x40cm) and will be chasing the internal clinker block wall to around 100mm wide to accept a 32mm waste and two 15mm copper pipes. There is no option to box the pipes in whatsoever due to space. I’m looking to fill the cavity with foam rather...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
I am troubleshooting a gas hob where one burner is reluctant to light. When it is lit and I blow the flame out the FSD on that burner cuts off immediately, whereas the others take 5-10 seconds as normal. I have tested the thermoucouple for continuity and also some sort of mV output (when held...
Replies
Views
I’m replacing my single skin plastic oil tank with a new bunded oil tank. I’m going to replace the single 10mm pvc covered oil pipe too, so to keep the number of compression joints to a minimum, I’d like to fit an external tigerloop combi 3 de-aerator (the one that incorporates an isolation...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock