Search the forum,

Discuss What's a hot press? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

What is a hot press?

I don't know what a hot press is? That's why I'm asking lol.

Aw right because I see people on the forum mentioning hot press. And I didn't know what is was.

It's on a thread called back circulation on the oil and solid fuel forum I think it's the hot water cylinder?

Confused me when i moved over here. Eco and Kay Jay are spot on, Hot press is an airing cupboard.

Its where you attempt to break the world record for jamming as many towels in a confined space just before the plumber comes.:)

Yea, - "hot press" is just one of many terms that you just grow up with & never think about why it is called that.
Think it is that Scottish / Northern Ireland link with language & phrases. Another word I notice used over here is "roofspace" often, instead of "attic".

Plenty of other ones from Ireland to scratch your head over....

Topper- pencil sharpener
Shellykabookie- what kids call snails
Santy- Santa
Yoke- thing
Bulmers- magners
Opel- vauxhall

Yea, - "hot press" is just one of many terms that you just grow up with & never think about why it is called that.
Think it is that Scottish / Northern Ireland link with language & phrases. Another word I notice used over here is "roofspace" often, instead of "attic".
or loft you posh gits its a attic

Another definition of a hot press.

Back in the days when the navy was manned partly by pressgang, lots of essential personnel carried a document called a "protection" - which exempted them from naval service. It was designed to protect essential dockyard workers, ferrymen, pilots etc from being taken from valuable work to man ships.

If the need for sailors was desperately urgent, the admiralty could authorise a "hot press" which temporarily cancelled all protections, so anyone could be taken by the pressgang, even those with protections.

As soon as the order became known, virtually the entire male population of Portsmouth would hide in cellars, or leg it out into the countryside. Presumably the same in other naval towns.

pointless fact of the day!

Grandad was in the Merchant Navy and they used to have numerous nautical sayings I remember:

Shipshape - everything fastened down tidily or put away ready for putting out to sea
knock seven bells out of - beat (seven strikes of the bell were rung on ship prior to a flogging as punishment)
room to swing a cat - (cat o' nine tails was the whip used for flogging)

Bit like here in Yorkshire

Trap / bog - WC
bait - lunch
use of "while" meaning "until", in for example "we'll not be back while six"
owt - anything
nowt - nothing

Last edited:
Have just looked up the word " Press " in Scottish/Ulster Scots & it means " a large wall cupboard ". Hence Hotpress is a hot cupboard.
This thread has got me interested in the Scottish words & phrases i use & hear everyday. Very funny to read.

A "linen press" is a term given to a tall cupboard used for storing bedding etc.

A "linen press" is a term given to a tall cupboard used for storing bedding etc.

I had forgot that one, - we use that term in N.I. also, more from old people though & sounds a bit posh!
The " Owt " & " Nowt " meaning anything & nothing words, we do use, especially the Nowt word, but " While " meaning "Until" is strange! :smile:

A press is a cupboard (as in a big one) so the hot press is the hot cupboard (where the cylinder is).
It is a dying term in Scotland. My mother and people of her generation used it all the time but i never do although i know what it means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's a hot press? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock