Search the forum,

Discuss What type of boiler do I have? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I wanting some advice re a boiler.

I have just taken ownership of a new 1 bedroom flat. It is an all electric block of flats and has an electric boiler system (see photos attached).

The boiler looks absolutely huge to my eyes, for a 1 bedroom flat at least. It almost looks like two boilders in one.

There are two electrical switches for it. A blank switch and another with the label 'off peak'. I have checked and I do not have an economy 7 meter, or at least not any more, so I have no idea what this means? Should I have both switches turned on? Have I got two boilers for some reason? I have no clue.

The boiler is old and will need replacing in the next 2-3 years or whenever it gives up or whenever I have some 'spare' money. But in the meantime, can anyone tell me what type of boiler I have, how it works and why I have two switches...one labelled 'off peak'?

Cheers,
Michael

IMG_20181014_194703.jpg

IMG_20181014_194709.jpg

IMG_20181014_194726.jpg

IMG_20181014_194718.jpg

Ok so I clearly need a crash course in plumbing. OK so this is my hot water tank. It says it's a 'Combination tank' with an immersion system, so what am I looking at? Sorry can someone explain this type of system to me? I still don't understand the double switch and 'off peak' switch.

top immersion is a boost immersion only heats up top 3rd for when you need a quick heat up bottom immersion is the main one this is the one should be on gives you a full cylinder of hot water, you should only use one immersion.

top immersion is a boost immersion only heats up top 3rd for when you need a quick heat up bottom immersion is the main one this is the one should be on gives you a full cylinder of hot water, you should only use one immersion.
also looks like you have economy 7 uses cheaper night time electricity

Ok so let me get this right:

I have an immersion water tank. With two immersion heaters.

A main and a boost.

Is that the correct terminology?

I only need to use the boost immersion when I have used all of the hot water from the main tank. The only way to switch this off appears to be by the main switch, does that sound right?

Out of interest, what would it cost (ball park) to replace this system with a modern equivalent? Ideally I'd like something economical...or as economical as you can get/need to be for a one bedroom flat.

Ok so let me get this right:
I have an immersion water tank. With two immersion heaters. YES
A main and a boost. YES
Is that the correct terminology? YES
I only need to use the boost immersion when I have used all of the hot water from the main tank. The only way to switch this off appears to be by the main switch, does that sound right?
YES but most people would have a controller / time clock fitted.
Please See inserted text in above

What kind are they, just the panel type i.e. turn on as required or are they the storage type ?

They are electric storage heaters...
I presume setup this way for economy 7, but I'm sure I don't have an economy 7 meter. I asked before I bought the place and the answer I received was no you don't have a economy 7 meter. So the system setup I have doesn't really makes sense and I want to look at the most economical electrical appartment for a one bedroom place

Is it a bath or shower there?
If only a shower, then an electric shower (high kilowatt shower) would save you the need to have stored water for showering

You don't need an Economy 7 meter nowadays the new smart meters have a built in clock so they know when you are using the power. It might be worth investigating the Economy 7 tariffs at half the cost of on peak, it can certainly be worth while.
If it is just you try just having the top (boost) immersion on as only the top of the cylinder down to the level of that immersion will be heated. As you say it looks a bit oversized for a one bed. Add some insulation to the hot pipework to conserve the heat if not already inlace.
For the future maybe look a going for an unvented cylinder if it is possible to get the discharge away, speak to a G3 plumber for a quote.

Your combination storage vessel is fine and should last for years more with possibly the odd bit of maintenance, it looks huge (compared to a traditional HW cylinder) because it also includes the cold water storage vessel. Without it you'd have a hot water storage cylinder + a cold water storage tank in that cupboard or as mentioned you could now opt for a smaller unvented cylinder. You can never have enough insulation imo and the only other change to make are the controls which could do with updating to take advantage of any overnight E7 tariff you may wish to join.

but I'm sure I don't have an economy 7 meter.
If you have economy 7 the meter will have 2 displays, and (if it's like mine) a separate automatic switch to swap between the two. As you have storage heaters I'd be surprised if you don't have economy 7, defeats most of the object. It might be worth seeing about having it changed. But check your tariff first, my current one has same for normal and off-peak, but most are lower off-peak. You can always change supplier.

If you have economy 7 the meter will have 2 displays, and (if it's like mine) a separate automatic switch to swap between the two. As you have storage heaters I'd be surprised if you don't have economy 7, defeats most of the object. It might be worth seeing about having it changed. But check your tariff first, my current one has same for normal and off-peak, but most are lower off-peak. You can always change supplier.

Just out of interest what supplier are you with and what kwh price are you getting? My supplier said that smart meters can also accommodate economy 7 as it's just a timing/billing issue. I've opted for a flat low rate rather than an economy 7 tarrif. Most eco 7 traffic's do not kick in until 12am, so I'm not sure of this is really going to work me. A friend got rid of his storage heaters, because by the time he got home (9-5 job, but often not home until 8) his flat was cold and he would have to boost his heating at a higher rate. He tried "modern" storage heaters that claim to be better but they made no difference at all, depends on your house/flat I guess? He opted for a more economical and better insulated hot water systems and electric heaters. He saved quite a bit of money that way around because of the way he uses his flat. I'm similar in my life style, which is why I'm considering this also. I've been quite 11.5p per kwh flat rate with Bulb which is also 100% renewable energy. Seems like quite a good deal really.

Your combination storage vessel is fine and should last for years more with possibly the odd bit of maintenance, it looks huge (compared to a traditional HW cylinder) because it also includes the cold water storage vessel. Without it you'd have a hot water storage cylinder + a cold water storage tank in that cupboard or as mentioned you could now opt for a smaller unvented cylinder. You can never have enough insulation imo and the only other change to make are the controls which could do with updating to take advantage of any overnight E7 tariff you may wish to join.

Thanks for your reply. My storage vessel my be close to 28yrs old I think, which is why I'm comsidecons something new. I've heard about over night tarrifs/eco 7 but I don't think that's really going to work for my life style. So I think I will opt for newer electric heaters and see if there is a smaller more modern economical option for my hot water storage...as you mentioned, an unvented cylinder.

I've now switched the immersion on the main vessel of tank off and have just left the smaller 'boost' cylinder on. Hopefully this saves me a bit of money, because I really don't need a huge tank of water at all. Guess we shall see of that makes a difference.

Just out of interest what supplier are you with and what kwh price are you getting?
I've just started with Outfox The Market. Electric cost is 9.7062p/kWh, day and night. There is no daily rate (aka standing charge).
I was with ExtraEnergy, whose prices were rising to 16.437p/kWh day, 9.914p/kWh night.
As somebody said, if you have a smart meter you might have day and night prices already, and it probably doesn't need an automatic switch.

I've just started with Outfox The Market. Electric cost is 9.7062p/kWh, day and night. There is no daily rate (aka standing charge).
I was with ExtraEnergy, whose prices were rising to 16.437p/kWh day, 9.914p/kWh night.
As somebody said, if you have a smart meter you might have day and night prices already, and it probably doesn't need an automatic switch.
That is really cheap. 9.7p and no standing charge. . . I shall have to look that up. [EDIT doesn't look so good once you factor in £75.10 a year to join the "Energy Hero Club" (a standing charge in all but name?), and 11.4p in Colchester :( Having said all that, there is quite a LOT to like about the offer this company makes mumble mumble mumble]

Basically, all electric heaters are equally efficient at converting electricity to heat, but the better the lagging on your cylinder, the more of that heat will actually be used by you for hot water. Heat escaping the cylinder will still heat your home, but this is a waste during the summer.

Going onto an economy 7 tariff will probably give you more expensive day rate electricity, so the question is really how much of your demand for electricity you can switch to the night. Storing the heat energy (e.g. by keeping water in an insulated cylinder) so that you buy it when it is cheap and use it when it is more expensive can work well (and a wet central heating system from a large electric thermal store could be ideal), but if you are on economy 7 and use a tumble dryer during the day, take electric showers during the day and find that your storage heaters actually struggle to store the heat from the previous night until 7 o'clock in the evening when you actually want it, then economy 7 (or economy 10 may be worth looking into) may not be for you.

In the meantime, you will have less heat loss using ONLY the boost as you are storing less hot water, so if you are not on Economy 7 tariff, then just using the boost may be a good idea. Probably worth heating the cylinder through once a week though using the other switch, just to keep things hygienic.

Last edited:

Reply to What type of boiler do I have? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock